[SOLVED] Only 50% of internet usage while downloading

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
So I was downloading a game and normally I would have 10mb/s, but now i only have 5mb/s. It has happened to me a couple of times now, but all those times were fixed by just turning the internet on an off. This didn't work this time. So I looked at task manager and I saw it only used around 50% internet. After I turned my internet on and off it would jump to 80-90% for a couple of seconds. After that the internet cuts out for 3 seconds or so before going back on and only using 50%. I am using a tp-link network amplifier i think its called. It goes in to an outlet by the router and by my pc so I can use an ethernet cable and have better internet then wifi. And yes I know that running a ethernet cable from my pc to my router is better.

I have tried turning my router on and off, plugging the amplifiers in and out of the outlets.
I am downloading a game via ubisoft connect. I have tried to download via steam and ubisoft connect at the same time, but it would still only use 50% internet.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Solution
Those powerline adapters are based on the previous version of powerline tech. They call them av600 but they are actually using av500 protocol. The actually used to be called av500 before the newer protocol called av2-600 came out. So they are intentionally trying to confuse people.

Then again the av2-600 is now called 1000 for similar reasons.

It is not uncommon to get only 30-40mbps on av500 units. You likely are seeing some kind of inference to only get 5mbps. Make sure the units are plugged directly into the wall outlets with no power strips.

All you can really do is try other outlets. The newer powerline units tend to have less issues with interference.
So I was downloading a game and normally I would have 10mb/s, but now i only have 5mb/s. It has happened to me a couple of times now, but all those times were fixed by just turning the internet on an off. This didn't work this time. So I looked at task manager and I saw it only used around 50% internet. After I turned my internet on and off it would jump to 80-90% for a couple of seconds. After that the internet cuts out for 3 seconds or so before going back on and only using 50%. I am using a tp-link network amplifier i think its called. It goes in to an outlet by the router and by my pc so I can use an ethernet cable and have better internet then wifi. And yes I know that running a ethernet cable from my pc to my router is better.

I have tried turning my router on and off, plugging the amplifiers in and out of the outlets.
I am downloading a game via ubisoft connect. I have tried to download via steam and ubisoft connect at the same time, but it would still only use 50% internet.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
If you using the Ethernet jumper I think you are using, it is actually a indicator of house wiring issues and you may want to have a electrician come out to look at it, the jumpers it sounds like you are using actually turn the electric lines in your house into Ethernet lines and if you are reciveing inturuptions it can be a sign of rat issues or things of the nature chewing on lines a nail put through the lines or something of that nature

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
We pay for, i think 300mbps, and i have tested this via my laptop directly connecting with an ethernet cable to my router and it did reach that. (the screenshot is from my desktop pc). I am using this "powerline-extender" https://www.tp-link.com/nl/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220/ .
unknown.png

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
If you using the Ethernet jumper I think you are using, it is actually a indicator of house wiring issues and you may want to have a electrician come out to look at it, the jumpers it sounds like you are using actually turn the electric lines in your house into Ethernet lines and if you are reciveing inturuptions it can be a sign of rat issues or things of the nature chewing on lines a nail put through the lines or something of that nature
I hope that is not the case that would be really bad. But I still get 10 mb/s when i turn the internet on and off. That's what i got from when i first used the ethernet jumper. So it would seem the cables are the same as when i first bought the ethernet jumper

Those powerline adapters are based on the previous version of powerline tech. They call them av600 but they are actually using av500 protocol. The actually used to be called av500 before the newer protocol called av2-600 came out. So they are intentionally trying to confuse people.

Then again the av2-600 is now called 1000 for similar reasons.

It is not uncommon to get only 30-40mbps on av500 units. You likely are seeing some kind of inference to only get 5mbps. Make sure the units are plugged directly into the wall outlets with no power strips.

All you can really do is try other outlets. The newer powerline units tend to have less issues with interference.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution

TRENDING THREADS