[SOLVED] Only 60/70 Fps with 2070 Super in 1080p

Aug 16, 2019
Is it because im using a Tv at 60 hz and the Gpu is using less power?
I still was about to buy a 144hz monitor but, im not sure at 100% that's the problem.
It's not even bottleneck bacause I own a Ryzen 7 3700x with 16GB of Ram (3200 Mhz)

Solution
But I still don't understand why I don't actually see the fps how they should be in the counter.
I mean, I should be able tu see the high number of frames, like 150 or 120Fps, with After Burner, even if the screen isn't powerful enough.

You don't see the frames because the tv cannot display them. It cannot refresh the screen more than 60 times in a second. FPS isn't the same thing. Your GPU is rendering all the frames you see in the counter, your monitor is only displaying 60 of those frames in a second. A third party program won't do anything. People telling you the monitor won't limit your FPS is kind of misleading. Any TV or monitor works the same way unless there's some special circumstance I don't know about. My...
Aug 16, 2019
It's a 1080p 60hz TV.
Im using Two sticks of Ram, and The v-sync is turned off.
My Gpu Temps are around 65° when I play And my Cpu is around 67°.
I also play at Ultra settings.

Digicats

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
So, when I buy the new 144 Hz monitor it should be fixed?

Your bottleneck is your Television.

If you buy a 144hz monitor it will be able to refresh the screen 144 times a second. If you can maintain 144 fps or more then you'll be playing smooth as butter, as long as you have a good frametime but you have a 2070 so that's not an issue. Lower than 144 you'll notice a dip in the over all smoothness of the way the game plays, over 144 and it's whatever. You're see 60 -70fps because that's all the monitor can display in a second.

Your card is powerful. I would use it with 144hz monitor. Your FPS will be whatever it already is and you'll be able to perceive it. You'll notice a difference I promise you.

Also, using a 60hz monitor with a 2070 and turning off v-sync you'll get major screen tearing.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What happens to cpu/gpu usage in-game?

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Threaded Optimization.
Try switching between Auto and Off. Depending on the game, this may actually improve performance... not that it matters much, because 1080p 60.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That combo should be capable of a little more than what you're seeing in Battlefield 1 at 1080 and 1440p:
https://www.gpucheck.com/en-usd/gpu/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/ultra [use as a reference, do not expect the same level of performance]

The only real fix here is a high refresh 1080p monitor, or better.
Even if you were to somehow unlock more performance, you would experience excessive screen tearing, forcing you to enable V-sync anyway.

Aug 16, 2019
But I still don't understand why I don't actually see the fps how they should be in the counter.
I mean, I should be able tu see the high number of frames, like 150 or 120Fps, with After Burner, even if the screen isn't powerful enough.

Digicats

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Now I tested Battlefield 1
The Gpu was at 97% and The Cpu at 30%
It was around 90 Fps

What settings do you run in bf1? Everything should be off/low except textures, texture filtering, mesh quality and terrain quality should all be set to ultra. No AA, no post processing garbage. If you're trying to put every setting on ultra your FPS will be substantially lower in BF1 at least.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's not how it works.
Your True Fps is NEVER higher than the refresh rate of the Display Device.
Even if the on screen display shows:
-Minecraft @ 1000fps
-CS:GO @ 420fps
-BF V @ 190fps
You're still just seeing 60fps - but now, there's a crap ton of screen tearing because the gpu is throwing out new frames nonstop.

Reactions: Digicats