[SOLVED] Only able to boot into Windows 11 in safe mode ?

Aeternum

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Hello,

Upon updating my ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero BIOS from version 3904 to 4201, I was unable to apply my old, stable RAM OC settings (3600 MHz, timings are ASUS' default "load daily 3600 MHz B-die timings"). When trying to boot, the system would shut itself off and turn itself on multiple times, before undoing the OC settings and telling me to enter BIOS setup. I then tried loading the default RAM D.O.C.P. settings (3200 MHz), which caused the same thing to happen again.

Upon reverting to non-OC RAM settings, the computer would just show the "press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI settings", show a black screen, show the "press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI settings" again (sometimes briefly showing the next ASUS ROG logo screen without the text), until it starts the "starting automatic repair" > "diagnosing PC" process, which ultimately results in Windows 11's blue startup screen with the standard troubleshooting options.

I'm able to start Windows in safe mode without any issues, but any attempt to start Windows in normal mode results in the same "press DEL or F2" screen loop, followed by "starting automatic repair" > "diagnosing PC" > blue screen with startup options. It will sometimes get stuck on the ROG logo screen that immediately follows the screen that allows me to access the BIOS.

Is my only next step to reset Windows 11 and lose all my apps?

I have tried the following:
  • Powered PC off completely.
  • Cleared CMOS.
  • Reseated RAM/used only one stick at a time.
  • Scanned using DISM and SFC from safe mode, which found no errors.
  • Rolled back BIOS to version 4006, then the original version 3904 (using default settings).
Relevant hardware:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero
  • CPU: 5900X
  • RAM: 16x2 GB RAM (G.Skill Trident Z, SKU: F4-3200C14D-32GTZR)
  • Boot drive: Corsair MP600 2TB
Please let me know if more info is needed!

Thanks a bunch!

Solution
Hello,

Upon updating my ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero BIOS from version 3904 to 4201, I was unable to apply my old, stable RAM OC settings (3600 MHz, timings are ASUS' default "load daily 3600 MHz B-die timings"). When trying to boot, the system would shut itself off and turn itself on multiple times, before undoing the OC settings and telling me to enter BIOS setup. I then tried loading the default RAM D.O.C.P. settings (3200 MHz), which caused the same thing to happen again.

Upon reverting to non-OC RAM settings, the computer would just show the "press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI settings", show a black screen, show the "press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI settings" again (sometimes briefly showing the next ASUS ROG logo screen without the...
Hello,

Upon reverting to non-OC RAM settings, the computer would just show the "press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI settings", show a black screen, show the "press DEL or F2 to enter UEFI settings" again (sometimes briefly showing the next ASUS ROG logo screen without the text), until it starts the "starting automatic repair" > "diagnosing PC" process, which ultimately results in Windows 11's blue startup screen with the standard troubleshooting options.

I'm able to start Windows in safe mode without any issues, but any attempt to start Windows in normal mode results in the same "press DEL or F2" screen loop, followed by "starting automatic repair" > "diagnosing PC" > blue screen with startup options. It will sometimes get stuck on the ROG logo screen that immediately follows the screen that allows me to access the BIOS.

Is my only next step to reset Windows 11 and lose all my apps?

I have tried the following:
  • Powered PC off completely.
  • Cleared CMOS.
  • Reseated RAM/used only one stick at a time.
  • Scanned using DISM and SFC from safe mode, which found no errors.
  • Rolled back BIOS to version 4006, then the original version 3904 (using default settings).
Relevant hardware:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero
  • CPU: 5900X
  • RAM: 16x2 GB RAM (G.Skill Trident Z, SKU: F4-3200C14D-32GTZR)
  • Boot drive: Corsair MP600 2TB
Please let me know if more info is needed!

Thanks a bunch!
i would boot into safe mode, find the directory where your overclock drivers are stored then rename the directory or delete the directory then attempt a reboot. Otherwise I would see if I could run msconfig.exe under safe mode to specify a selective startup.

Solution