Question Only able to use 1/4 of internet speed

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I have xfinity internet (800 mb), but not getting even 200 mb. I'm running Windows 10. When I do a speed test it shows a little over 800 mb for a split second, but then drops down under 200 mb. Any help would be appreciated. See attached pics

I hate it when websites won't let you simply upload photos. So, I put them on dropbox and tried to insert the link using "Insert Image" option and this is the erorr that I received: " Image cannot be loaded from passed link"
How do I go about uploading photos here???

Thank you

Is there any kind of wireless in the path. This could be wifi in your house or if it is using a mobile broadband internet (ie the type cell phones use).

Generally you see issues like that if you are getting errors. The way speedtest works is it keeps increasing the speed until it gets some kind of errors. It assumes when it gets errors that is your maximum rate. If you have say 500mbps internet should go to 500 with no errors but if you try 501 you well get packet loss so speedtest slows down until it no longer sees errors.

If there is something wrong with your internet you can get lower speedtest numbers.

Now it could be something strange about your internet plan. Although I have not seen it lately on internet plans that are on cable or fiber you still see it on mobile broadband. What they do is allow you to transfer data at faster rates but only for a short time. Previously it was a way to cheat on speedtest. They would let it run fast just long enough to complete a speed test but if you did a actual file download it would drop back to a much lower speed after say 30 second or so.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
No one see the attached pict.

As mentioned above, upload the pict/photo to imgur.com and share the BBcode link. No acct required.

Have you called xfinity regarding speed issue?

Do you own the modem/gateway yourself? What brand/model?

Last edited:

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Is there any kind of wireless in the path. This could be wifi in your house or if it is using a mobile broadband internet (ie the type cell phones use).

Generally you see issues like that if you are getting errors. The way speedtest works is it keeps increasing the speed until it gets some kind of errors. It assumes when it gets errors that is your maximum rate. If you have say 500mbps internet should go to 500 with no errors but if you try 501 you well get packet loss so speedtest slows down until it no longer sees errors.

If there is something wrong with your internet you can get lower speedtest numbers.

Now it could be something strange about your internet plan. Although I have not seen it lately on internet plans that are on cable or fiber you still see it on mobile broadband. What they do is allow you to transfer data at faster rates but only for a short time. Previously it was a way to cheat on speedtest. They would let it run fast just long enough to complete a speed test but if you did a actual file download it would drop back to a much lower speed after say 30 second or so.
Yes, I'm referring to wireless, using xfinity modem. See link below in other post for photos.

BR2000

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
No one see the attached pict.

As mentioned above, upload the pict/photo to imgur.com and share the BBcode link. No acct required.

Have you called xfinity regarding speed issue?

Do you own the modem/gateway yourself? What brand/model?
Xfinity was here two weeks ago, showed on their test tool that speed is fine. Tech said it's something in computer setup and that they can't do anything about that, need to call pc tech.

I'm using xfinity's modem XB7.

I would never pay a tech to fix your pc like this. At worst you would reinstall windows...it is not likely a hardware issue.

Do you have another device you can test with to see if it does the same thing.

You can also try a linux USB boot image. These test images run from USB completely and will not damage the windows install. Most have a browser preisntalled so you can run normal speedtest

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
OP must use ethernet to test the speed. Using wifi to test is meaningless.

Wifi's link speed <> throughput.

My PC sits right besides the wifi router also connect at 866.7 Mbps with wifi, but tested throughput is only 230Mbps. Also about 1/4 of the theory speed. The reason I don't show speedtest.net or fast.com results is my internet is only 100Mbps.

TvXA39k.png

Repost OP's wifi link speed pict using imgur, dropbox's photo sharing sucks

GKx6xzE.png

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS