Question Only Amazon devices on the network can access internet

Apr 16, 2019
I have had a bizarre problem crop up that I have no explanation for. We have a Linux machine, several iPads, and a number of windows 8/10 machines. As of yesterday morning these machines connect to the network, both wired and wireless, but will not connect to the internet. The strange thing is that all of the amazon echo devices, fire tv sticks, and fire tablet connect and access the internet just fine. Our internet is supplied by Bell Canada via DSL connection. We are using the TP-Link TD-W9970 modem/router. I have gone through several power cycles of the modem, router, and connected computers without success. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions?
Thanks.

Apr 16, 2019
Thank you for your reply kanewolf. Ping 8.8.8.8 returned
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=120 time=30.0ms
message repeating with seq incrementing and time deviating slightly. Nslookup connection timed out - no servers could be reached. Tried this on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi with similar results.

message repeating with seq incrementing and time deviating slightly. Nslookup connection timed out - no servers could be reached. Tried this on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi with similar results.

Are you by chance using an alternative DNS like 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) or 8.8.8.8 (Google) I've seen scattered reports of Windows 10 issues using these DNS's. It's a known bug that being looked at. But these are very sporadic in nature. For some people using these DNS's solved their issues.

The other thing to do is reboot your dsl modem. Sometimes this forces an update on the ISP's DNS server address. (You might be using an old cached IP)

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
That definitely is a DNS problem. You should look at your router and put a set of alternative DNS servers like google (8.8.8.8 -- 8.8.4.4) or cloudflare (1.1.1.1 -- 1.0.0.1) into the router DNS config.

Apr 16, 2019
Just had a chance to get back to it again. I set the alternate DNS as suggested, and we're up and running again. Seems like such a simple thing now. Thank you all so much for your help!