Question Only boots with RAM in B2

Jan 7, 2023
Hi there,

I'm rebuilding a system that I thought was a motherboard failure
New specs:
Asus TUF Z590-plus Wifi. (new)
i7-11700F 2.5 (existing)
2 sticks HyperX fury 16gig1Rx8 XMP4-3733-UZZ-12 (existing)
Geforce RTX 2060 (existing)

My issue is that I can only boot with one stick of RAM in the B2 slot. Yellow VGA light if the two are in A2 B2. I thought OK, one bad stick - fair enough. However, they both work if I have it alone in B2. I tried three different sets of good RAM in A2/B2 - same thing. Fine if ONLY in B2. With two sticks in either A2/B2 or A1/B1 - I get the yellow RAM led.

I thought it was a RAM slot issue - so this is the SECOND motherboard (returned the first thinking it was bad). I've changed power supplies from a 600 to a 750. The 600 does not have the extra 4 pin connector - the 750 does and is connected.

The CPU is about the only thing that is the same from the old system, after I swap the board, the RAM, and the powersupply (the graphics card is the same, but still the yellow light with it installed or not). However, the Asus board passes the CPU test on boot (or at least the QLed goes from Red to off). I know that AMD processors have memory control onboard - do Intel? Could this be a CPU issue?

The reason for the rebuild was a shut down to never reboot - the old motherboard didn't have QLed, so not sure if it was the same issue. I think the old one got overheated, but would an overheat damage the CPU in a way that it would cause this?

Also - I have a stick of Crucial 32gig DDR4-3200 (not gaming - no fun LEDs, but fine) could I just leave in slot B2 and call it a day? - but if this is a CPU issue, then I don't want more trouble down the road.

Any thoughts would be helpful
Thanks,

Jan 7, 2023
Hi all - as a follow and diag my own issue - I took the CPU out and discovered some thermal past on the side and even a few little spots on the underside (the new intel cpu doesn't have pins, more like contact points...easier to clean).

Some isopropyl alcohol, some q-tips, a bright light, and a magnifier and some time seems to have done the trick.

A little thermal paste does go a long way - like all over everywhere.
Cheers!