Only getting 1 m out of a 2 m uplink connection

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I just got my FIOS (5/2) service and was testing my speeds.

I am only getting 1/2 the speed of what is available to me for uploads :( . The tech tested the connection through my router (with his laptop) and was running 1.86mbps speed. Both of my pc's only register 1 mbps.

These speeds have been confirmed on 2 different sites, Seakeasy and pcpitstop. PCPitstop could not run uplink test, reported posiable fw or something blocked it. I did some checking, and think it is proably a java script problem, but do not have it corrected. When I go directly to verizon speed test it registers the 1.8mbps speed. So I know my hardware is capable of doing it.

I have disabled AV and FW software with no change. Have done multiple complete scans for ad & spyware, all clean. I have used the optomizer offered by verizon to make the changes for MTU (1492) and 2 other settings. Still no change on uplink, but seams to make the machine a little faster. Have run register cleaners, no change.

Both pc's are running XP-home (SP2), Avari AV, Comodo FW only on laptop. Both are P4 machines with 3.2 & 3.0 ghz . The desktop pc had a clean install less than a month a go. Just minimal software on it. The LT was reloaded with a new 7200rpm hd 2 months ago.

I have run out of options on things to check. DSLReports doesn't indicate any thing is wrong.

I know it a un-usual problem that most would love to have. But I would like to get this fixed.

I here they will be bumping the speed for basic service up to 10/5 :lol: , I would love to beable to use it.

Any ideas on what to check, or does MS have a tcp/ip fix for slow uploads.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
There is only a couple places your bottle neck could be:
Your Computers
Your Router
ISP to Internet
Internet Itself
Speedcheck host

It is unlikely that it is your PC's (internal network speed), your router (FIOS supplies the router, right?) Internet (you've seen 5 down, right)

This leaves 2 places, the connection from Verizon to the internet and the speedcheck host. Verizon could be throttling your connection outbound? :?

I would guess that it is the speedcheck host. If so, try running 2 benchmarks at the same time and add the sum. Speakeasy gives me options for several different hosts located in different cities; I have seen different speeds from different locations.

I think it's strange that you don't get nearly dead on 2mbit up to verizons site.

Unless your hosting some kind of server, host frag parties, upload a lot of big emails, etc; 2 Mbit is excessive. I'm still Jealous. :wink:

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Update,

I am now able to get 1.86 mbps uplink using IE. Corrected some values that windows set to low.

Have not got FireFox to get over 1 meg. So I will proably will wipe my profile away and do a clean install.

I am not using the supplied router due to the fact that I have bussiness class, which is a lot better that what they supplied. Netgear FVS 338. 92 mbps through put on wan.

All hardware and PC far exceed what is needed to do this speed.

Update: There seams to be a bug or code restriction on up-link speed. It maxes out at 900 to 1000kbps. This is done with a clean profile, no extensions.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Try updating to the latest version of FF. I just ran a speedtest at Speakeasy and got over 5mbps on the upload, so it doesn't seem like a limitation of Firefox.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I'm running the lateset version. Created a new profile thinking I ws having a problem with no change. Will try a clean install to see if see if that makes a difference.

Update:

Did a clean install, after uninstalling a and cleaning all register markers. Ran Speedtest again still showing 1 meg or less with firefox 1.5.0.5. IE is just find.

Fred, Are you using XP Pro of Home. And are there any services or register values I need to look at? I'm close to re-installing XP again, even though it was just down 2-3 mo ago.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
This was on XP Pro with SP2 and the latest updates from Windows Update. Nothing "tweaked". Just for the heck of it, I'd try to find some place where you could do an upload test with something other than HTTP, like an FTP server or something. You'd probably get the same results as in IE, but I've never heard of Firefox being outperformed by IE, that's just blasphemy! :D

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I found out Verizon tweeks 3 settings. TCP Receive, MTU=1492 and TCP1323.ext They only post the mtu value. Looks like I need to contact them to find what the other values are.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Still, it wouldn't seem like those settings would affect one app and not another running on the same machine. That's just weird... good luck trying to get any useful info out of 'em.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I found out what there settings are, posted below.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON