Question Only getting 100mbps on a 900mbps network

Sep 3, 2022
I have an issue where I am not getting my advertised speed on my PC which should be around 900mbps. Before I explain the problem, here are my relevant specs:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Hero (Lan supports over 1000mbps - No wifi)
Router: Asus AX1800 (supports up to 1800mbps)
Modem: Netgear CM1000 Cable (supports up to 1000mbps)

My problem is that whenever I run a speed test, the computer is only receiving slightly under 100mbps, usually between 80-90. This is on a wired (ethernet) connection. I have verified that the network speed I am receiving is in fact 900mbps by running the onboard router speed test. I tried connecting the computer to the modem and am getting the same thing. When doing the speed test on my PS5 (wired to ethernet) I get around 700mbps and all my wireless connections get around 300-500 depending on distance from router. Why is my PC only getting 80-90? I use a wall socket ethernet port that goes to my router, is it the socket thats causing the issue? The cable from the router to the sockets use Cat-5e, which should be fine and I’m using Cat-6 from the socket to the pc.

Edit: I’m on a fresh windows 10 install with all updated drivers. I also made sure the Intel LAN driver was the latest version. Initially I did see my network speed reach 800-900mbps but now it never does.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I have an issue where I am not getting my advertised speed on my PC which should be around 900mbps. Before I explain the problem, here are my relevant specs:

My problem is that whenever I run a speed test, the computer is only receiving slightly under 100mbps, usually between 80-90. This is on a wired (ethernet) connection. I have verified that the network speed I am receiving is in fact 900mbps by running the onboard router speed test. I tried connecting the computer to the modem and am getting the same thing. When doing the speed test on my PS5 (wired to ethernet) I get around 700mbps and all my wireless connections get around 300-500 depending on distance from router. Why is my PC only getting 80-90? I use a wall socket ethernet port that goes to my router, is it the socket thats causing the issue? The cable from the router to the sockets use Cat-5e, which should be fine and I’m using Cat-6 from the socket to the pc.
It is quite possible that the in-wall cabling is the problem. If you have in-wall cabling, you need to get a basic ethernet cable tester. The Klien scout is my recommendation.

Reactions: Gubster07
You can check the speed in the status on the ethernet port. I bet it is running at 100mbps. 90+mbps is the number you commonly see when a port is running at 100mbps because of the overhead in the packets.

In your case you have 3 cables any of which could be bad. You have a patch on both ends as well as the in wall cabling.

Try plugging directly into the router and see if it works. It could also be one of the jacks has some issue. The cables in the walls themselves seldom are bad.

Reactions: Gubster07
Hi,

Ye I get this at home. I use LAN/WIFI Extended and I get about 80Mb/s but that comes to like 7MB/s.

If i plug my console or pc instead downstairs directly into the router I get upwards of 200-600Mb/s depending on the time.

I do believe it is the components in the plug and the quality of the cooper wiring in you home.

Direct into the router always give the best connection.

kanewolf

Titan

Edit: I’m on a fresh windows 10 install with all updated drivers. I also made sure the Intel LAN driver was the latest version. Initially I did see my network speed reach 800-900mbps but now it never does.
One thing you could do to help us, help you is to take the wall plate off the wall and take pictures of the back side. Do both ends of the in-wall cable.
Post to imgur or other hosting site and link here.