Question Only getting 1Gbps instead of 2Gbps on Windows 11

Dec 7, 2022
I recently upgraded my home internet to 2Gb fiber. I purchased a TRENDnet 2.5G USB-C to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter (TUC-ET2G) to take full advantage of the high speeds.

The adapter works great if I plug it into my MacBook or Linux machines; I'm getting the full 2Gbps that I would expect.

Unfortunately, when I plug the adapter into my Windows 11 workstation, and test using speedtest.net, I'm only getting around half that.

I have tried various debugging steps (changing drivers, disabling firewall and antivirus software, changing adapter duplex settings, etc.). Nothing I've tried seems to make any noticeable difference.

I have ordered another brand of adapter (an Anker USB C to 2.5 Gbps Ethernet Adapter) and will see if it makes any difference, but I was talking to a friend who has two different adapters, and he has seen the exact same thing with his Windows 11 machines, while he's getting the full speed from his other devices.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what else I should try. TIA!

kanewolf

Titan
I recently upgraded my home internet to 2Gb fiber. I purchased a TRENDnet 2.5G USB-C to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter (TUC-ET2G) to take full advantage of the high speeds.

The adapter works great if I plug it into my MacBook or Linux machines; I'm getting the full 2Gbps that I would expect.

Unfortunately, when I plug the adapter into my Windows 11 workstation, and test using speedtest.net, I'm only getting around half that.

I have tried various debugging steps (changing drivers, disabling firewall and antivirus software, changing adapter duplex settings, etc.). Nothing I've tried seems to make any noticeable difference.

I have ordered another brand of adapter (an Anker USB C to 2.5 Gbps Ethernet Adapter) and will see if it makes any difference, but I was talking to a friend who has two different adapters, and he has seen the exact same thing with his Windows 11 machines, while he's getting the full speed from his other devices.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what else I should try. TIA!
What router do you have?
What does Windows say the link speed of your 2.5Gb adspter is?

Dec 7, 2022
I'm running the Google Fiber Multi-Gig Router (GFRG300). I need to check the link speed again, but I'm pretty sure it was listed as 2.5 Gbps. I'll take a screenshot when I'm back at that computer later. I should have the new adapter by then and it will be good to verify if it has the same issue.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm running the Google Fiber Multi-Gig Router (GFRG300). I need to check the link speed again, but I'm pretty sure it was listed as 2.5 Gbps. I'll take a screenshot when I'm back at that computer later. I should have the new adapter by then and it will be good to verify if it has the same issue.
You do have to use the silver port on the back of the router to get greater than 1Gbit -- https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/11277663?hl=en#zippy=,overview,connecting-your-router

Dec 7, 2022
Ok, I'm giving up. My new adapter won't even maintain a connection with the silver (2.5 Gb) port on the router from my Windows 11 PC, even though it works fine connected to the yellow (1 Gb) port. Incidentally, the new nic gives me 2Gbps download speeds when connected to a chromebook, so I know the adapter isn't bad, just my Windows 11 PC for some reason.

I'm going to return both USB-C to 2.5 Gbps Ethernet adapters. I might try purchasing a PCIe 2.5 Gb NIC just to see how it works, but I'm not holding onto a lot of hope. Thanks for those who chimed in with suggestions or additional questions.