Question Only getting 34 fps in WoW with new GPU ?

Jul 3, 2022
Hey guys.

So I just received my new GPU - MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X PLUS 10G OC LHR .
Now for some reason, I have 34 fps in WoW... My old gpu - 1070 could pull upwards of 100 on average.
CS:GO seems to be running okay, although I can't say for sure as I haven't actually played a match. I've only been on the start screen.

Is there a couple of settings I need to be aware of?
I've uninstalled the old drivers using DDU and also removed GeForce experience in connection to setting up the new gpu.

Any experts got a couple of suggestions?

/Mink3n

Jul 3, 2022
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
monitor connect to the gpu?

GPU says 76 degrees celcious atm. (Using corsair iCUE dashboard)
CPU is roughly 35 degrees.
Also, I don't remember the model name of my monitor, but it's a 120hz ASUS monitor. Connected through display cable.

Also, as a bonus info, I noticed that my GPU Tweak III Didn't have access to the fans on the 3080. I could access the fans on the old GPU, but for some reason it won't let me do it on the new one.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there a couple of settings I need to be aware of?
-Besides gpu core temperature, there is also gpu hot spot and memory junction.
-Monitor gpu core frequency. Is it stuck at a low frequency?
-Performance Cap/Limit Reason. There's always at least one.
-Are all 10GBs of ram recognized? Can gpu voltage and power draw be monitored?
[Can check these using Gpu-Z or HWINFO. I have no idea about Gpu Tweak - never used it.]

If those check out ok, then look at the cpu: core frequencies and temperatures for each core.

It's correct.

Jul 3, 2022
-Besides gpu core temperature, there is also gpu hot spot and memory junction.
-Monitor gpu core frequency. Is it stuck at a low frequency?
-Performance Cap/Limit Reason. There's always at least one.
-Are all 10GBs of ram recognized? Can gpu voltage and power draw be monitored?
[Can check these using Gpu-Z or HWINFO. I have no idea about Gpu Tweak - never used it.]

If those check out ok, then look at the cpu: core frequencies and temperatures for each core.

It's correct.

I will check all of this once I am back home.
Thank you all for answering so far. It is much appreciated!

Jul 3, 2022
Hello again!

Okay so I'm a biiiit noobish in terms of figuring out exactly what I am looking for to just give you the straight values. So I logged into WoW, had the game running for like 5 mins just to see how the card reacted. Below is a screenshot from HWmonitor running along side it. I hope that can shed some light on what is wrong so far, for the more tech savvy.
https://postimg.cc/sBP3dGJF

Again I am sorry for not just being able to provide what you need to know straight off the bat, but I am quite new to figuring this out.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
From the screenshot -- which is very hard to read -- the GPU is basically idling, which is odd.

Which display cable is connected to the monitor from the GPU? You just told us "display cable" which we kinda assumed because, well, you kinda need a display cable.

Jul 3, 2022
From the screenshot -- which is very hard to read -- the GPU is basically idling, which is odd.

Which display cable is connected to the monitor from the GPU? You just told us "display cable" which we kinda assumed because, well, you kinda need a display cable.

Display port cable? One of these https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Feet-Resolution/dp/B005H3Q59U sorry for not making it clearer.

And regarding the screenshot, I am aware it is quite small for some reason. However if you download the pic and open it, it comes up in the resolution that was intended.
Also, I have a secondary monitor connected with a HDMI cable. That monitor is 75 mhz.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Display port cable? One of these https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Feet-Resolution/dp/B005H3Q59U sorry for not making it clearer.

And regarding the screenshot, I am aware it is quite small for some reason. However if you download the pic and open it, it comes up in the resolution that was intended.
Also, I have a secondary monitor connected with a HDMI cable. That monitor is 75 mhz.

First thing to do troubleshooting an issue like this is to simplify the GPU usage as much as possible; there should only be one monitor connected at this point.

Jul 3, 2022
First thing to do troubleshooting an issue like this is to simplify the GPU usage as much as possible; there should only be one monitor connected at this point.

I've removed the secondary monitor.
Also... I have now noticed that the fans aren't even running on the card... They run when I turn the power on. And then they stop...
Thing is, I am still getting an image on my monitor here, through that card. I'm not using the on board graphics..
The card registers in device manager and in Nvidia GeForce experience.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
One option I have found to sometimes work, is to go to graphics settings, and click recommended and choose all settings. It apparently forces a reset of said settings. Another is to find your cache and WTF folders, in your WoW folder, and move them to another location, allowing WoW to recreate them. I prefer to do that over deleting, in case it doesn't fix anything, and I can just put them back.

Jul 3, 2022
One option I have found to sometimes work, is to go to graphics settings, and click recommended and choose all settings. It apparently forces a reset of said settings. Another is to find your cache and WTF folders, in your WoW folder, and move them to another location, allowing WoW to recreate them. I prefer to do that over deleting, in case it doesn't fix anything, and I can just put them back.

I appreciate the answer but I don't think WoW is the issue. Right now the fans on the card have stopped moving. When I boot, the fans are active on the card, for like 20 secs. Then they stop. And also there is visible lag even when I type.

Uninstall GPU Tweak III ?

Did. Didn't make a difference though.
I may be off by a mile here, but I suspect that I haven't connected the card to the psu correctly. I've linked to a picture of my Corsair HX850 psu from within, and shown with the red color where I've connected it to using PCI-e cables. Is this correct?
https://postimg.cc/Xr4NY538

A few things to keep in mind:

• Just because you unninstalled the software dudio mention, it doesn't mean the settings were cleared from the system.
  • Are you using 2 independent 8-pin pcie power cables for the new GPU?
  • This may sound silly, but it can happend to anyone, Are you positive the display is plug into the GPU and not the motherboard ?
  • Are you runing any other software like MSI afterburner, MSI Dragon Center, or any RGB LED crappy app?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What about a standard benchmark like 3D Mark Fire Strike or Unigine Heaven/Valley. If the card refuses to throttle up, there could be something wrong with it.

My guess would be it is using the integrated graphics. Check task manager, should show what is getting the graphics load.

GPU 0 would be Intel and the GPU 1 should be the 3080.

You should also grab GPU-Z and confirm the GPU identifies itself correctly with all stats matching the 3080. You can also look in the sensors tab to see if it is reporting a perfcap reason, such as power.

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 3, 2022
A few things to keep in mind:

• Just because you unninstalled the software dudio mention, it doesn't mean the settings were cleared from the system.
  • Are you using 2 independent 8-pin pcie power cables for the new GPU?
  • This may sound silly, but it can happend to anyone, Are you positive the display is plug into the GPU and not the motherboard ?
  • Are you runing any other software like MSI afterburner, MSI Dragon Center, or any RGB LED crappy app?

Yes, 2 independent power cables from PSU to GPU
100% positive the display cable is plugged into the actual card and not the mobo.
Running no software like that, unless iQue counts? It's for the watercooling.