Question Only getting 34 fps in WoW with new GPU ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 3, 2022
Hey guys.

So I just received my new GPU - MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X PLUS 10G OC LHR .
Now for some reason, I have 34 fps in WoW... My old gpu - 1070 could pull upwards of 100 on average.
CS:GO seems to be running okay, although I can't say for sure as I haven't actually played a match. I've only been on the start screen.

Is there a couple of settings I need to be aware of?
I've uninstalled the old drivers using DDU and also removed GeForce experience in connection to setting up the new gpu.

Any experts got a couple of suggestions?

/Mink3n

Jul 3, 2022
And not one person has said a word about DDU through safe mode, and then install fresh drivers?

I've done this. First thing I did actually.
Also, I think it's worth mentioning, that this is not just WoW. It's now EVERYWHERE, no matter what I am doing. I can see, easily, that there's an issue somewhere. Take a window, say the task manager, hold onto the top of the window, the "bar" and move it across the screen fast, I can see it stutters or lags as I move it, as if the graphics can't quite keep up.

I re-installed Windows the other night. Now, if I even open up Windows Edge, the system immediately crashes. I have no idea what the hell is wrong.

InvalidError

Titan
I re-installed Windows the other night. Now, if I even open up Windows Edge, the system immediately crashes. I have no idea what the hell is wrong.
Have you tried disabling the IGP in BIOS? Back when I played around with GPU output through IGP, I had some distracting stutters too. Disabling the IGP would ensure Windows cannot be confused about which GPU to use and do something dumb that could take a while to sort out otherwise.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All drivers not installed to specific folders are stored in windows/drivers. If you reinstall windows, that folder gets wiped out and the only drivers inside are windows native drivers. So chipset, gpu, or any 3rd party drivers are now gone and will be forced to use windows default drivers.

So you'll need to reinstall your gpu drivers After windows reinstall.

Have you changed actual cables? Linus did a cable test a while back and found many cables that were physical failures that affected outputs or even crashed the pc due to shorts internally. Most of the guilty cables were the cheapo freebies given out with the monitor itself. Switching between a crappy hdmi and crappy dp having the same result, a crappy input to the monitor.

InvalidError

Titan
Have you changed actual cables? Linus did a cable test a while back and found many cables that were physical failures that affected outputs or even crashed the pc due to shorts internally. Most of the guilty cables were the cheapo freebies given out with the monitor itself. Switching between a crappy hdmi and crappy dp having the same result, a crappy input to the monitor.
Cables would only affect whether you are getting reliable output at your target resolution and refresh rate. If he's not having problems with his monitor losing sync or garbled output, then cables are extremely unlikely to have anything to do with it.

From reading this it appears you are missing important drivers. Mainly motherboard chipset.

Next it appears you may have the IGP/CPU set as first display device in bios. When booting does the bios show on monitor connected to GPU or monitor connected to the motherboard?

So much text… wow.

It looks like windows display manager issue. To verify I would:
  1. Use FULL Screen mode (not windowed)
  2. Create game profile in NVidia panel and have it set to performance

It might be the old card profile that is applied with your tuning software. To verify I would
  1. remove the software (first step) then boot in safe mode and
  2. use DDU (second step) to remove the drivers, that would remove the profile. And only then
  3. install the driver and try (no to exclude the window display manager issue above. In addition to)

Let's completely take the second monitor out of the equation unplug it from the computer.

Now, does the cable from the primary monitor go to your motherboard? If yes, switch it to your 3080. Once you have only your primary monitor plugged in to the 3080 GPU, download Userbenchmark, reboot your computer, log in and wait at desktop for 5 minutes, run Userbenchmark and post the link to the results.

Jul 3, 2022
So now the new GPU (the 3080) actually seems to be running as the primary card, and it seems more stable. No more stuttering/lagging as I drag windows around. This is the result after installing a ton of drivers from the ASUS site, showing me the 590 MOBO drivers.
However, I am now getting random crashes citing hardware error.
This was happening with the same build prior, while I was running with the old 1070 GPU. But after I switched the ram out, that problem seemed to stop right away, so I wrote it off as a ram error.
I am gonna run a benchmark on the system as suggested.

Got a question - Can a supposed hardware error be caused by drivers? Or is it really a matter of faulty hardware? It says hardware error in the reliability report. I mean obviously there's still an issue, but getting the GPU to actually work seems like a big step in the right direction lol.

Also, I want to say again, that I am extremely grateful for all the help you all have given me so far. Still a way to go, but progress at least.