[SOLVED] Only getting under 200mbps with 1gig fiber

Sep 17, 2021
I had a 1gig fiber connection installed but speeds are only showing around 170mbps. They WERE reading between 5-30mbps but I uninstalled and reinstalled my network driver and while that was still an improvement it's nowhere near what it should be. My ISP is pretty dumbfounded and can't figure out the issue so it must be something on my end I assume. I tried a USB 3.0 adapter but that actually got me slightly worse speeds. They tested the connection on one of their laptops (which is only capable of up to 500) and it was showing between 300-400mbps.

Tried TCP Optimizer, no change. Did a speed test on my phone connected to the wifi, and it comes in at around 240mbps.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: 970 Pro Gaming/Aura
Network adapter: [00000001] Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection

My motherboard is a little old I know and even though it has a gigabit adapter is it possible to not support a fiber connection?

UPDATE 9/18: Speed test in safe mode shows the 900+ download I should be getting. Restarting and booting normally goes back to the 170 range.

Last edited:
Solution
You have to be very careful about those automated tools since you don't know what they changed it makes it hard to change back.

Your problem is likely some driver issue or some other software you have loaded when it works in safe mode.

Asus has a bunch of crap software they bundle with many of their motherboards but you also see it bundled with video cards also. Make sure there is no so called "gamer" network software or any form of QoS software you have. Since this is bundled on the driver disks you may not have known they installed it.

At some point you just try the reinstall windows option when you can't find what crap was set incorrectly.

kanewolf

Titan
I had a 1gig fiber connection installed but speeds are only showing around 170mbps. They WERE reading between 5-30mbps but I uninstalled and reinstalled my network driver and while that was still an improvement it's nowhere near what it should be. My ISP is pretty dumbfounded and can't figure out the issue so it must be something on my end I assume. I tried a USB 3.0 adapter but that actually got me slightly worse speeds. They tested the connection on one of their laptops (which is only capable of up to 500) and it was showing between 300-400mbps.

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: 970 Pro Gaming/Aura
Network adapter: [00000001] Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection

My motherboard is a little old I know and even though it has a gigabit adapter is it possible to not support a fiber connection?
I would start by checking your windows tuning settings -- https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/

Sep 17, 2021
If you read the whole article it says to try it with the value of "normal" ....
Change it and see if your performance improves.
Set it to normal, didn't work

Tried TCP Optimizer, no change. Did a speed test on my phone connected to the wifi, and it comes in at around 240mbps.

Last edited:
You have to be very careful about those automated tools since you don't know what they changed it makes it hard to change back.

Your problem is likely some driver issue or some other software you have loaded when it works in safe mode.

Asus has a bunch of crap software they bundle with many of their motherboards but you also see it bundled with video cards also. Make sure there is no so called "gamer" network software or any form of QoS software you have. Since this is bundled on the driver disks you may not have known they installed it.

At some point you just try the reinstall windows option when you can't find what crap was set incorrectly.

Solution