Question Only got speakers without an amplifier. How do I get sound ?

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Hi,

I have SP-THP3S model JVC speakers. I only got five of them without the amplifier. I would like to use those with my TV in the easiest and cheapest way.

My TV has 3.5mm Headphone AUX and Coaxial S/PDIF outputs. I think it only supports Stereo sound in PCM and Compressed modes because when I switch audio mode settings, it shows Dual - I and II options instead of Stereo, as other options. So is it ok for me to use only two of the speakers in stereo, if it is possible to connect without amplifier thorugh AUX ? I think I can do that with RCA to 3.5mm cable.

The JVC speaker specs:
Surround speakers (SP-THP3S)
Type: 1-Way Bass-Reflex Type
Speaker: 6.5 cm cone X 1
Power Handling Capacity: 40 W
Impedance: 3 Ω
Frequency Range: 90 Hz to 20 000 Hz
Sound Pressure Level: 72 dB/W·m

If those speakers worth investing in, I can think of getting a cheap car sound system amp and power it via 12v adapter.

I would be so glad for your advice.

Thank you.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I have SP-THP3S model JVC speakers. I only got five of them without the amplifier. I would like to use those with my TV in the easiest and cheapest way.

My TV has 3.5mm Headphone AUX and Coaxial S/PDIF outputs. I think it only supports Stereo sound in PCM and Compressed modes because when I switch audio mode settings, it shows Dual - I and II options instead of Stereo, as other options. So is it ok for me to use only two of the speakers in stereo, if it is possible to connect without amplifier thorugh AUX ? I think I can do that with RCA to 3.5mm cable.

The JVC speaker specs:
Surround speakers (SP-THP3S)
Type: 1-Way Bass-Reflex Type
Speaker: 6.5 cm cone X 1
Power Handling Capacity: 40 W
Impedance: 3 Ω
Frequency Range: 90 Hz to 20 000 Hz
Sound Pressure Level: 72 dB/W·m

If those speakers worth investing in, I can think of getting a cheap car sound system amp and power it via 12v adapter.

I would be so glad for your advice.

Thank you.
The problem with those speakers is the 3 ohm specification. Typical amps can't be paired with speakers that low impedance. They will damage the amp. Send those to electronics recycling or find the original amp.

Not knowing as much about audio, you could try something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3539522400...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I remember at work we installed some car style speakers as ceiling speakers in a meeting room using something like this. For 20 bucks if you blow the amp oh well. You could probably look for a model with an ir remote and program it’s needed functions to a universal remote.

For example I have a roku remote like this for my downstairs TV with a sound bar I picked up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2648208701...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY