Only Half Memory Capacity Per Dimm Registering

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I am having an interesting problem where only half of my memory is available. I am running an i5 3570k at stock speeds on an MSI G41-Z77a motherboard with 2 kits totalling 32 GB, 4 x 8 GB dimms of 1600 MHZ G.Skillz Rip Jaws memory, a PNY GTX 970 and a 550 watt PSU.

I have verified in the bios that all 4 dimms are registering, just half the memory 4 GB per dimm.

A little background. This system has been working for years with all 32 GB registering. After moving I started experiencing an issue where the machine would not post, and reboot in a cycle every 10 seconds. After much trouble shooting, complete disassembly, and multiple reassemblies, one component at a time, I was able to get the system running stable again. Removing the connector block that groups the case cables for attachment to the motherboard fixed the issue, I think it was causing a short.

Once the system was running again, I was prompted that the bios had been reset to default, which makes me think this is related to a setting, but going through the bios, I can't find it.

Previously, I didn't have to configure anything for all 32 GB to register.

I have since tried removing and adding the memory back in different configurations, running with one dimm, 2 dimm, etc. I still can only get half the memory to register.

I have also enabled XMP in the bios, and set the timing as indicated by the label on the memory. The memory is set to 9-9-9 at 1600 MHZ and 1.5 volts.

I am out of ideas, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

The CPU has been in place for over 5 years. Still, I checked it. No visible issues.