Question Only half of my new RAM is usable??

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Asus M5a99fx pro 2.0
Fx-8370.
Win 7.

So, I replaced my GEIL RAM (2x8gb) with a brand new packet of Corsair Vengence RAM (4x8gb). Everything booted great, but 'computer > Properties' say: 32GB (16GB usable). I made sure to buy RAM at 1600 as I have been advised (by users on this forum) that my mobo onlysupports upto 1600Mhz when using all 4 memory slots.

CPU-Z Says: https://ibb.co/KqmzFnp

Is CPU-Z saying my RAM is clocked close to 2400??? Mabe this is the problem?

I purchased the additional RAM (completely replacing my old RAM, as opposed to adding to it) specifically for a program called PioSolver. PioSolver confirms that I only have 16gb of RAM available, despite having 4 slots filled of 8gb each.

I have no idea what to do now! Can anyone help please? Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the help @kanewolf.

So, I entered (F2) BIOS on start up and selected 'optimised defaults'.

CPU now says: https://ibb.co/rwSx1dN

That's now at 1333, right?

Still only 16/32 available!
Yes. The RAM is now at 1333.
I would power OFF everything and remove and reinstall the RAM. It may need to be reseated. Since you are having some RAM issues, I would also get MEMTEST and run for 4 to 6 hours. You might have defective RAM.

Reactions: ukrobochips

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Ok, thanks.

Maybe I should try differing combos of 2x8, just to check the sticks are good. I mean, they are brand new, I literally just opened the packet! :(

Not heard of 'memtest', so again, thanks for the advice. Let's hope I havent just wasted £150 on something that's not going to work - that'd be typical! :D

kanewolf

Titan
Ok, thanks.

Maybe I should try differing combos of 2x8, just to check the sticks are good. I mean, they are brand new, I literally just opened the packet! :(

Not heard of 'memtest', so again, thanks for the advice. Let's hope I havent just wasted £150 on something that's not going to work - that'd be typical! :D
I have had new RAM that was defective. Had to RMA it to the manufacturer. MEMTEST -- https://www.memtest86.com/ is a self booting diagnostic that requires no WINDOWS or other OS. It just reads/writes and compares data across ALL your memory. It isn't fast. That is why you need to let it run for 6 - 8 hours.

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Perefect! Thanks guys. Thanks for the help.

Upgrading to a better version of Win7 doesnt cause any data loss...

"Users who would like to upgrade their Home Premium edition to Professional can use the Windows Anytime Upgrade feature. Using this feature, you can easily upgrade to a higher edition without loosing your data and installed programs. "

Jan 9, 2019
Windows 7 EOL has already passed. Extended support will end I think in Jan of 2020. You can no longer purchase it. However you can use the key you already have and upgrade to Windows 10. You can also use that key on a Clean install if that what you are looking for.

ukrobochips

Prominent
Aug 8, 2019
Cheers guys.

@kanewolf - That MX500 you mentioned. I notice it doesnt have the usual connection type that I am used to (dinosour!), it looks like it fits into a slot on the mobo. Guessing the Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 motherboard that I own is compatible?

The MX500 also comes in a 2.5" form factor with regular SATA connections also https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500-1tb/p/N82E16820156174
I recently bought a Adata SU650 960GB and cloned my windows 7 hard drive to it and I am keeping my Mechanical for backup and when I get a chance upgrade to 10 on the SSD and If that doesn't work right I still Have my Mechanical drive for a back up to try something else.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
JUST A HEADS UP... Do the Windows 10 Upgrade FIRST with Windows 7 installed, as you should still be able to do it for free. DO MAKE SURE everything is backed up.

Once the update is complete, the license is tied to your account/mobo (I forget which)

Then at that point, you are free to go ahead and buy an SSD and do the swap and a clean install.

Last edited: