[SOLVED] Only have one real PWM connector on motherboard

Jan 10, 2019
Hey,

I have only one actual PWM fan header on my motherboard, the cpu_fan header. Recently I bought a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 and as such it's currently plugged into that header. The other sys_fan headers are voltage controlled and my two noctua industrial PPC fans, which are both 3000rpm PWM fans need to be controlled through PWM. The issue however, is that they can only go down to 40% due to the voltage control. I verified that I can achieve lower speeds when they are connected to the cpu_fan header, however can't have them connected permanently due to the fact they would be speeding up and down as the BIOS controls the header. I was considering buying a PWM fan hub and plugging it into a sys_fan header however, wasn't sure if the PWN fan hub would also have to use the voltage control, thus getting me back to square one.

Thanks in advance,

Solution
Probably not the cheapest solution possible, but considering you can't use a regular PWM fan hub due to the lack of PWM headers, and using the CPU fan PWM header would cause all connected fans to ramp up and down quickly and often like the CPU fan in response to thermal changes, it's probably your best option.

The NZXT Grid+ v2 or V3 is the option I'm referring to. I have the v2 and while I'm not using it now as I purchased it a while back for use with another system, I had no problem running my Noctua NF-A15 PWM and NF-A14 PWM fans, along with a few other models of PWM fan, using this controller. While it does work via voltage control, I had no problem running any PWM fan at 20-25% RPM signal nor were there any startup issues with...
Probably not the cheapest solution possible, but considering you can't use a regular PWM fan hub due to the lack of PWM headers, and using the CPU fan PWM header would cause all connected fans to ramp up and down quickly and often like the CPU fan in response to thermal changes, it's probably your best option.

The NZXT Grid+ v2 or V3 is the option I'm referring to. I have the v2 and while I'm not using it now as I purchased it a while back for use with another system, I had no problem running my Noctua NF-A15 PWM and NF-A14 PWM fans, along with a few other models of PWM fan, using this controller. While it does work via voltage control, I had no problem running any PWM fan at 20-25% RPM signal nor were there any startup issues with them when resuming since the controller momentarily runs the fans at full speed when starting up or resuming from sleep to ensure that stalling doesn't happen at those times.

Solution