Question Only intermittent POSTing

Jan 26, 2021
I'm on a new prebuilt, and I've had this issue since I got it coming up for eight or so weeks ago. The PC turns on, power goes to it and the fans start up... But no beep, and no signal on the monitor. When it finally does beep and POST, the first time it succeeds, it'll usually stick on the Asus logo screen. Can't even get into BIOS by pressing F2. The next boot, it'll work and get me into Windows. But it often takes... I dunno, three to seven attempts to get to that ASUS screen? And if I put it to sleep or shut it down or leave it idle for any length of time, I have to start the whole rigmarole again.

At first I thought it was a display cable issue. Spent the past month or so trying to play the cable lottery and find a good one. Four HDMI cables and two DP to HDMI cables later, nothing seems to work. Sometimes the shorter DP to HDMI will for a bit and it'll boot up first time, but then it's like it stops working. And even with that one, if I put the PC to sleep and leave it for any length of time, when I try and wake it up, no display and I have to reboot. Last time I tried that cable, nothing would boot up at all the first four or so times. Same with the HDMI I bought from a pretty reliable brand last week, which got to the ASUS screen first time after being plugged in, froze, and then I couldn't get it to boot again at all.

Anyone encountered something similar?

Specs: 3500x | 1660 Super | PRIME B450M-II-A

Ralston18

Titan
Intermittent problems: my first, immediate thought is a loose connection. Wiggling loose over time and becoming more problematic.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Double check that all connectors, cables, RAM, jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for any kinked, pinched, or damaged wires.

If you are not comfortable with opening the case then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help you do the checks.

Jan 26, 2021
Hmm... I installed a couple of quieter fans and my SSDs at the beginning of this and double checked the boot drive, and there didn't seem to be any cabling issues when I looked. Just had another quick check and I don't see anything obvious.

TRENDING THREADS