Question only my CPU overheating?? recently upgraded GPU

May 11, 2023
recently upgraded my gpu from 1060 6gb to 3060 12gb and shortly after my pc has overheating issues but only the CPU , is this more likely my watercooler of 5 years isnt working properly anymore? or new gpu cause this?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Out of curiosity, did you use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers from your platform before you removed the 1060 from your rig? Might also want to include the number of fans in your case and the orientation of said fans in case.

May 11, 2023
im a complete PC novice i did not uninstall anything i just straight up plugged in the new GPU is that bad? and is that fixable? Also have 6 fans in total if u count the 2 on the gpu plus the water cooler which im worried may not be working but idk how to tell

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6 core processor
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU cooler
Motherboard: MSI B360-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
SSD/HDD: PNY CS900 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive/ Western Digital RE4 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Chassis:
Monitor: tryna find a new one for gaming :c

May 11, 2023
What temps are you hitting when having these overheating issues?
my CPU is getting to about 90C and its the only thing really getting hot inmy pc ive never had overheating issues ever before, and im not computer savvy so idk if its upgrading my GPU or my water cooler isnt properly working anymore ive had it for 5 years so idk if they just stop working after a while or what

my CPU is getting to about 90C and its the only thing really getting hot inmy pc ive never had overheating issues ever before, and im not computer savvy so idk if its upgrading my GPU or my water cooler isnt properly working anymore ive had it for 5 years so idk if they just stop working after a while or what
There's no way that the GPU is causing it. The installation of a video card is pretty fool-proof and wouldn't affect the temperatures of a liquid-cooled CPU. I think that you're either right about the water cooler itself not working so well anymore or perhaps one of the fans on the radiator has died.

if I were you, I'd take the AIO out, replace it with a standard air cooler and see what happens.

May 11, 2023
i dont have one, to test that but would u reccomend a buy another AIO cooler the same i did before or switch to a fan to cool my cpu? seems the watercooler worked wonders before i never had an issue

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i dont have one, to test that but would u reccomend a buy another AIO cooler the same i did before or switch to a fan to cool my cpu? seems the watercooler worked wonders before i never had an issue
All AIO/CLCs inevitably become e-waste - it's part of the territory. So consider that you will end up throwing one out over and over if you really want to go and get another one.
An air cooler:
-while they last a lifetime, after some time, you'll probably get tired of looking at it, and thus want to replace it anyway
-if you switch to a smaller case, the one you may possess might not fit
-it can become someone's hand-me-down, or you could sell it; fan failure is about the worst thing that happens to 'em, and fans are cheap to replace.

As for the current cooler, you can try:
-repasting and reinstalling the cooler. Maybe you bumped the pump head while installing the new card - stuff happens.
-after doing the above, run the cpu through Cinebench R23's 10min thermal test. During the test, feel both of the hoses. If fluid flow is good, they should feel pretty similar. If it's poor, it'll be a night and day difference.
If it's poor, time to throw out the cooler - of course, keep the working radiator fans as spares.