Only my fans work

ncparker17

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
A few days ago I came home really late one night and my computer wasn't working, I opened up my case and tried to fix it but I bent a few pins in the CPU socket, I've tried to bend them back but they don't look perfect. Im wondering if this is causing my issue.

My issue is when I turn my computer on I can see the CPU fan work, the GPU fans flutter and move a little but nothing else works. Nothing comes up on the monitors. I plug the mouse and keyboard into the USB ports and they don't light up (usually the keys and the mouse light up). I've unplugged and replugged everything in multiple times (taken my computer apart and set it back up multiple times).
My build consists of:
Asus Z97-A motherboard
Intel i5-4690k CPU
GeForce GTX 960 GPU

I used to have a liquid cooling unit but it broke so I just threw on the original air cooling unit (I cleaned the CPU and added new thermal paste to it).

I took the GPU out and tried running the computer and have the same issue.

I'd love any input, I've been pulling my hair out in frustration and I don't want to have to buy new parts that aren't broken.

Solution
It sounds as if you broke your processor.

Bent pins by themselves are not the end of the world. So long as you are well grounded (wearing a strap, etc) there is little risk to slowly and carefully bending them back. So long as the above is done and the CPU pins go in the correct holes, it should work. If you are careless (for example not grounded) your CPU is quickly an ornament.
It sounds as if you broke your processor.

Bent pins by themselves are not the end of the world. So long as you are well grounded (wearing a strap, etc) there is little risk to slowly and carefully bending them back. So long as the above is done and the CPU pins go in the correct holes, it should work. If you are careless (for example not grounded) your CPU is quickly an ornament.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS