Question Only onboard video working (I have tried 3 different graphic cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rynn21

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
One day my monitors stopped displaying picture. I tried every possible plug, then took out my graphics card and used the onboard video. Picture was displaying. Ok, so then I tried two other graphics cards. No picture each time. I switched out a generic power supply at 470w for a evga at 500w. Still no picture. The one gpu I wanted to work was an old radeon hd 6790, which was my second attempt at installing a graphics card. The first that stopped displaying picture was a generic card. Any idea how to fix this, or is something wrong with the motherboard to allow anything but onboard?

Download this software.

If not already done so, uninstall discrete video card drivers.

Run the downloaded software to remove all traces of video card drivers. Reboot as necessary. Then shut down computer.

Install video card. Ensure card seated properly, and make sure any auxiliary video card power is connected as well (8 pin or 6 pin PCIe).

(Re)install video card drivers and reboot as required.

Rynn21

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
I ran the program in safe mode, and uninstalled all traces of AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel (the onboard video).
I still get no display when starting the computer. I even attempted to test the sensitivity of the PCI slot by lightly pressing the graphics card down. Nothing. Is the PCI slot just bad somehow? I have no other slot to try.
The display once in awhile when trying to restart with the hdmi plugged into the graphics card will say, "No cable" so it's not even recognizing the graphics card in any way. Yes, it's hooked up to the psu.
I just tried a FOURTH graphics card and that didn't work either, every plug option.
The only other information I can provide is that my friend went to use this computer, tried to move the mouse and it wouldn't move. The computer was frozen. He restarted and no more display. Two days prior his second monitor would display picture then go black on and off. I tested both monitors on another computer and they work well. This is a brand new SDD with Windows 10, and the operating system itself runs like a charm on the onboard video. The computer itself is a factory build that is about four years old. A Dell XPS.

Last edited:
OK.

Presumably the four video cards tested are known to be fully functional and not faulty?
Likewise, it is presumed that the other PSU used for testing was known to be fully functional and not faulty?

If there is any doubt, try the video cards in another known working computer. Also try the test PSU in another computer and/or try another (known to be fully working) PSU in this Dell XPS.

Check the PCIe slot very carefully for any sign of damage, and check that there is no dirt, dust, nor debris of any kind in the PCIe slot.

A slight long shot is to remove the CPU and check it and its socket very thoroughly for bent or damaged pins. Also make sure that there is no dust, dirt, nor debris of any kind on or among the pins and pads. Remount the CPU carefully and evenly.

Clear/reset BIOS.

If there are still problems with getting the video cards to work after all the above, then it seems that there is a (un-fixable) problem with the PCIe video card slot. In this case a new motherboard will be required.

Rynn21

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
OK.

Presumably the four video cards tested are known to be fully functional and not faulty?
Likewise, it is presumed that the other PSU used for testing was known to be fully functional and not faulty?

If there is any doubt, try the video cards in another known working computer. Also try the test PSU in another computer and/or try another (known to be fully working) PSU in this Dell XPS.

Check the PCIe slot very carefully for any sign of damage, and check that there is no dirt, dust, nor debris of any kind in the PCIe slot.

A slight long shot is to remove the CPU and check it and its socket very thoroughly for bent or damaged pins. Also make sure that there is no dust, dirt, nor debris of any kind on or among the pins and pads. Remount the CPU carefully and evenly.

Clear/reset BIOS.

If there are still problems with getting the video cards to work after all the above, then it seems that there is a (un-fixable) problem with the PCIe video card slot. In this case a new motherboard will be required.

Yes, there's no way all graphics cards are bad.
Both power supplies work. 2 out of 4 of the graphics cards didn't require a power supply.
The computer works great with onboard video.

I don't know how to check the PCIe slot for damage. There is no dust or dirt. I used compressed air to double check that.

That is two motherboards I've had to replace in the last year. Damn.

Rynn21

Commendable
Feb 5, 2020
Using a strong light source (flashlight) and maybe a magnifying glass or wearing hobby glasses, check the PCIe slot for any bent or damaged contacts.

Did you clear/rest the BIOS?

I know it's been awhile, but finally had time to fiddle with the problem. For sure there is something wrong with the PCIe slot, so gave up on that motherboard and working on building a different computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.