Question Only one channel of memory usable

Sep 5, 2020
I have a system with 4 4GB memory sticks and I encountered stuttering in games and have come to find that 8GB is listed as "hardware reserved." After doing some testing this isn't linked to any particular stick of RAM and it only happens to sticks placed in the second channel. I've tried clearing the CMOS and updating the BIOS.
System specs:
MSI B450M Bazooka
Ryzen 2600
T-Force Vulcan 4x4 DDR4 Memory
Asrock RX570

Ralston18

Titan
Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for supported RAM configurations.

Especially if the 4 x 4GB RAM modules now installed are not from a matched set.

Look for 2 x 8GB kit (matched RAM modules) to install for dual channel use.

Go to MSI's website to find the applicable motherboard User Guide. Be sure to match revision number and pay attention to the details.

You may also find similar information via the various RAM manufacturer's websites. However, that is only for consensus purposes.

The motherboard's User Guide/Manual and MSI's website information is the ruling documentation.

Sep 5, 2020
Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for supported RAM configurations.

Especially if the 4 x 4GB RAM modules now installed are not from a matched set.

Look for 2 x 8GB kit (matched RAM modules) to install for dual channel use.

Go to MSI's website to find the applicable motherboard User Guide. Be sure to match revision number and pay attention to the details.

You may also find similar information via the various RAM manufacturer's websites. However, that is only for consensus purposes.

The motherboard's User Guide/Manual and MSI's website information is the ruling documentation.
I've been using this configuration for a year now just fine and the RAM not working only started happening recently, the only thing I've changed in BIOS is fan settings, and I did also update the BIOS to try and resolve the issue
I've tried putting two sticks with one in each channel alone and the system only uses the one placed in the first channel.

Ralston18

Titan
And the stuttering just started?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First before gaming and then while gaming.

Look for some resource and resource % that appears or otherwise corresponds with the start of stuttering.

Just FYI:

https://appuals.com/windows-10-wont-use-full-ram/

https://technoresult.com/how-to-disable-reserved-memory-in-windows-10/

Solution 1 (first link) may be viable and applicable. However, before doing anything do try to identify some specific problem that can be associated with the stuttering.

Sep 5, 2020
Firstly thanks for your help
PSU is a Rosewill 650W modular, bought new around 2.5 years ago
Disk drives are a seagate barracuda 1tb hard drive that's 80% full and a 250gb HP Nvme SSD (the drive windows is on) that's 2/3rds full
Stuttering appears when I'm using all of the available RAM (which admittedly is solvable by just closing everything in the background)
CPU/GPU usage doesn't appear to be a factor

ASK THE COMMUNITY