[SOLVED] Only one core overheating on idle

Sep 7, 2019
Only one of cores in i5-8400 is overheating on idle.

Any ideas?

Till now:
Installed ParkControl
Using Cooler Master V8
Reapplied the thermal paste.

Roommate suggested it might be a bad sensor, but it is something I cant check. I dont exactly like that.

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'd sooner suspect that is a faulty sensor. Generally the core will throttle before it reaches that temperature.
If it was prolonged exposure to that temp, you'd also expect damage and probably shut downs.

But 1 core being hotter than the rest is normal as in simple applications, it may only use one core.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I'd sooner suspect that is a faulty sensor. Generally the core will throttle before it reaches that temperature.
If it was prolonged exposure to that temp, you'd also expect damage and probably shut downs.

But 1 core being hotter than the rest is normal as in simple applications, it may only use one core.

Solution
Sep 7, 2019

Sounds reasonable, if computer isnt capable to run on such temperature without self-preservative shutdown, then error on sensor sounds reasonable. I dont experience shutdowns or at least they are extremely rare.