[SOLVED] Only one dimm slot (A2) works on Asus Prime Z390-A

Nov 28, 2019
Very annoyed. this computer has been great the last year but suddenly my dual channel became half a channel. I had 16 Gigs but now even the bios is reading only 8 gigs.

I did trial and error and found the Ram itself is fine, but only A2 detects Ram. I took out CMOS battery, updated BIOS, reseated the sticks multiple times and only A2 works.

I've had this board for about 1.1 years now, but dont really have the time to RMA and rebuild it

I was thinking of just buying a 16X1 ram piece here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171GQXME?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

would this be compatible wtih my asus prime z390-a with a 9700k?

thanks for the help

Solution
I think you'd just be better off replacing the motherboard... RMA that thing if the slot really is busted, because right there, at the very top of your motherboard's Memory Qualified Vendor's List:
-Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even ones of the same make and model. Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot.
- Purchasing single DIMMs is not recommended because compatibility cannot be guaranteed. For the best results, please ensure all memory modules are of the same version or have the same date code (D/C) from the same vendor. Check with the memory vendor to get the correct memory modules.
-The default DIMM frequency depends on its Serial Presence Detect (SPD), which is the standard way of accessing information...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think you'd just be better off replacing the motherboard... RMA that thing if the slot really is busted, because right there, at the very top of your motherboard's Memory Qualified Vendor's List:
-Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even ones of the same make and model. Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot.
- Purchasing single DIMMs is not recommended because compatibility cannot be guaranteed. For the best results, please ensure all memory modules are of the same version or have the same date code (D/C) from the same vendor. Check with the memory vendor to get the correct memory modules.
-The default DIMM frequency depends on its Serial Presence Detect (SPD), which is the standard way of accessing information from a memory module. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value.
-The stability and compatibility of memory modules with XMP profiles that operate beyond the JEDEC memory standard are not guaranteed. The stability and compatibility of these memory modules depend on the CPU’s capabilities and other installed devices.
Reference: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-A/PRIME_Z390-A_Memory_QVL_20190225.pdf

Besides, if multiple slots are busted, then the cpu is stuck with single channel mode; cpu performance will take a hit until that's fixed.

Solution
Nov 28, 2019
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Thank you for the great response.

Man this just <<Edited for inappropriate language>>. I dont have much time to do an RMA then rebuild the whole pc while in grad school. I looked at the performance difference and it's really not that bad on intel setups.

Gonna just try that Ram, if it doesn't work I'll return it and RMA the board. I know this is the lazy choice and prob against better judgement but honestly even right now with just 8 gigs im hitting 200 fps in owatch on ultra. I wonder how long i could live on just 8...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2019
hey the new ram is working and the extra memory is very impactful

honestly, motherboard is dying. i think the pins are bent and im a lazy bastard.

regardless..............................................FUNCTION BABY

TRENDING THREADS