Question Only one fan spins on GTX 980, other fan "twitching" and won't spin

Jun 17, 2022
Hey all, just picked up a used 980 for around 100 dollars. I plugged it in and installed NVIDIA drivers and the card seemed to work perfectly fine. I loaded up a game and the card ran perfectly fine, until I checked my case. I noticed that only one of the fans were spinning (the one farthest from the ports), and the other was just still, not spinning. When I restarted my PC, I realized that only one of the fans spins fine, while the other does this kind of "twitching" thing. It looks like its trying to spin but can't start. I tried this video card on 2 different setups, and I have the same issue on both computers. I know that some GTX 980 cards have their fans not spin until it reaches a certain temperature and is under load, but even under load only one of the fans begin to spin. Does anyone know what could possibly be going on? Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried a custom fan profile with MSI Afterburner. See if you can get it to spin.

Otherwise, probably time for some replacement fans, decently old card at this point.

I should add that it is usually the other fan that would be stopped for low power operation. Generally the one above the GPU will stay on.

Jun 17, 2022
Have you tried a custom fan profile with MSI Afterburner. See if you can get it to spin.

Otherwise, probably time for some replacement fans, decently old card at this point.

I should add that it is usually the other fan that would be stopped for low power operation. Generally the one above the GPU will stay on.
Yup, tried afterburner out yesterday and it does the same exact thing. Il look into getting replacement fans.