Only one :-( internal 2tb drive for laptop???

PaulGor

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi

Laptops usually require internal drive as 2.5" and 9.5mm.
I have installed three months ago such drive (replacing 500Gb one in my Dell Vostro 3550 8Gb RAM/i5 CPU laptop) -
Seagate 2 Tb M9T Spinpoint (ST2000LM003), 5400rpm (as it warms up less than one with 7200 rpm)

But it's too loud - even when I am reading a document or writing e-mail, it's noisy (sounds like it constantly reads/writes data from RAM cache to disk or something like this) - not that sharp high pich noise that some people complained about, but not so loud but constant noise.

Wanted to look to some alternative. Have read some research that HGST drives are much more reliable (the page said that failure rate of Seagate drives is about 10% while for HGST - 1.8%) and live longer. Other page praised WD drives...

But I was not able to find neither in HGST nor in WD any 2 Tb or larger drives for laptop (that is, 2.5"/9.5mm)! HGST has 1tb drive of that kind.

Is it true and the only 2 Tb drive is my M9T?
:-(

Hi there PaulGor,

Some Win operating systems have background processes that could cause constant reading/writing. You can go to Resource Monitor and see if there is high disk usage and what is causing it. What is your OS?
Another thing you can do is to just test your drive in order to see if it is in a healthy state. You can either use a brand specific tool or a third party one: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Unfortunately, WD does not currently offer 2 TB HDD that is 2.5" and 9.5mm.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

PaulGor

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

My OS is Windows 7 Professional. But with original 500Gb drive I did not hear such noise, so I doubt that it's OS related.

I am pretty sure that it is - as previous response states, it's not just me who experiences such noise.

Got it. And previous response also stated the same :pfff:

When I started my search, I did not expect such results ("only Seagate does it") and it's why I decided to double-check here.
It's very strange really, as 2Tb is not such novelty...