[SOLVED] only one memory channel (two slots) is working

Jun 16, 2021
Hello everyone

I have two 4gb 1333mhz and two 2gb 1333mhz ram sticks and they are all working perfectly two by two with each other but when i try to use all 4 of them together only first channel (two sticks) works. if i install them like A1:4gb B1:4gb A2:2gb B2:2gb it shows 8gb of ram installed instead of 12gb in bios and task manager in total. but in cpu z i can see my rams are recognized and it even shows the brand and speed.

I've tried pretty much every configuration (A1:4gb B1:4gb A2:2gb B2:2gb, A1:2gb B1:2gb A2:4gb B2:4gb, A1:4gb B1:2gb A4:2gb B2:2gb and A1:2gb B1:4gb A4:2gb B2:4gb).

my bios firmware is up to date
i tried clearing cmos
all dimm slots are working

specs:
cpu: intel core i5 3570
mobo: asus p8p67 le

rams are all in different brands but same speed and latency and they all work fine two by two together

sorry for my bad english

Solution
I have two 4gb 1333mhz and two 2gb 1333mhz ram sticks and they are all working perfectly two by two with each other but when i try to use all 4 of them together only first channel (two sticks) works. if i install them like A1:4gb B1:4gb A2:2gb B2:2gb it shows 8gb of ram installed instead of 12gb in bios and task manager in total. but in cpu z i can see my rams are recognized and it even shows the brand and speed.
Test your ram slots.
Use single ram module and boot your system using this ram module at each ram slot.
This will tell, if there's some problem with any of ram slots.

Then test each ram module.
Install single ram module in same slot and boot up your system. Do that for each ram module.
This will tell, if any ram module...

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
There quite a lot of issue with your RAM setup, normally people only have about 1 and they usually work fine.

Issue:
  • Different RAM size (2x2gb, 2x4gb).
  • Different Brand.
  • Actual speed between the RAM is still likely to be different by a lot due to the two previous mentioned issue.
Try going to your Bios and check if it had register the RAMs properly. Also do a Hardware check in the Bios.

Test your ram slots.
Use single ram module and boot your system using this ram module at each ram slot.

Install single ram module in same slot and boot up your system. Do that for each ram module.
This will tell, if any ram module is faulty.

Solution
Jun 16, 2021
Test your ram slots.

This will tell, if any ram module is faulty.
I already mentioned in my post that all slots and sticks are fine. Thanks for replying

Jun 16, 2021
There quite a lot of issue with your RAM setup, normally people only have about 1 and they usually work fine.

Issue:
  • Different RAM size (2x2gb, 2x4gb).
  • Different Brand.
  • Actual speed between the RAM is still likely to be different by a lot due to the two previous mentioned issue.
Try going to your Bios and check if it had register the RAMs properly. Also do a Hardware check in the Bios.
If different ram size or different brands is the problem then how they match perfectly even in dual channel mode when running with two sticks at the time? And about ram speed they are all cl9 1333mhz and even if not i heard you can even mix 1333 with 1600 but it will run at 1333mhz. In my opinion it might be cpu or motherboard problem but im not sure exactly.
Thanks for replying

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
It could work
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html
But it will run in single-channel mode, probably.

"Rules to enable dual-channel mode
To achieve dual-channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

• Same memory size. Examples: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB.
  • Matched DIMM configuration in each channel.
  • Matched in symmetrical memory slots.
Configurations that do not match the above conditions revert to single-channel mode. The following conditions do not need to be met:

• Same brand
  • Same timing specifications
  • Same speed (MHz)
The slowest DIMM module populated in the system decides memory channel speed."

Reactions: chaoyang