[SOLVED] Only one monitor works when both used together ?

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Hi everyone,

about a month or so ago I disconnected my 4k 32 inch philips monitor because of some setup issues I had to fix and last week when I tried to reconnect my monitor it wouldn't work with my other monitor anymore, It used to just work and now I can only turn on one monitor, they both work perfectly together on other PCs and work perfectly on their own, but together they don't work together anymore eventhough they used to and I didn't change any settings. I tried updating drivers, using all gpu ports to see if a certain port was the issue and I tried some things in the display settings, It just won't work. I'll give you the exact details of my setup and my monitors plus some pictures of the situation.

Gigabyte RX 5700 XT triple-fan
Ryzen 7 3700x,
16GB ddr4 3200 hyperx fury rgb RAM
256GB SSD
1TB HDD
Corsair TX 650M 650 watt PSU
Razer Mamba Elite mouse
AOC C24G1 144hz 1080p monitor
4k 60hz 32 inch Philips monitor.
Corsair k55 keyboard
Redragon DITI one handed mechanical keyboard

May be the new keyboard has something to do with it? idk, I use them together.

In the first picture, only the AOC monitor is connected.
In the second picture, only the Philips monitor is connected.
In the third and last picture, they are both connected.

Here's the imgur link: View: https://imgur.com/a/GTs1nHe

Solution
What were those initial "startup issues"?

Look in Reliability History to determine if Windows is capturing any monitor/display/GPU problems: errors, warnings, even informational events.

In Task Manager take a look at the listed GPUs under the Performance tab.

Toggle between the GPUs and observe the GPU name that appears in the upper right corner of the window.

Also look at the driver information shown in the lower middle area of the screen.

Do so with each monitor individually and with both monitors. Verify that all displayed information is as expected.

Ralston18

Titan

Look in Reliability History to determine if Windows is capturing any monitor/display/GPU problems: errors, warnings, even informational events.

Toggle between the GPUs and observe the GPU name that appears in the upper right corner of the window.

Also look at the driver information shown in the lower middle area of the screen.

Do so with each monitor individually and with both monitors. Verify that all displayed information is as expected.

Solution

Ilan25000

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019

I didn't have any startup issues, just some setup issues, those issues being the size of my desk and having to upgrade some things like my keyboard and desk. I don't have an igpu, so i don't think i can switch between gpu's and I'll try the solution you gave me later, monitor is not connected right now.

Ralston18

Titan
Setup - not startup. I stand corrected. Thank you.

As for DDU I would hold off on that. Use Device Manager to uninstall drivers but hold on that as well.

Adding 3rd party utilities, etc. only adds more factors/variables...

How do you normally use the monitors - Extend [ed ]screen via "WIN" + "P"?

Key is, at this time, to determine if more can be learned about the actual problem(s).

Indeed do take another look at what is happening via Task Manager when the monitor(s) are connected again.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Setup - not startup. I stand corrected. Thank you.

As for DDU I would hold off on that. Use Device Manager to uninstall drivers but hold on that as well.

Adding 3rd party utilities, etc. only adds more factors/variables...

How do you normally use the monitors - Extend [ed ]screen via "WIN" + "P"?

Key is, at this time, to determine if more can be learned about the actual problem(s).

Indeed do take another look at what is happening via Task Manager when the monitor(s) are connected again.
Not a bad idea.