[SOLVED] Only one of my three monitors shows anything

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
My new computer can be seen at https://pcpartpicker.com/user/andy_werber/saved/. I just replaced my old Windows 7 32 bit computer with this new computer. The old machine, which had 2 DVI cards connected with an SLI bridge, worked with all 3 monitors. When I plugged in my 3 monitors into my new machine, I could see the Windows logo on my left monitor but the login screen did not show. I tried just connecting my 30 inch HP LP 3065 monitor to the active DVI to display port adapter, and nothing showed (note: the monitor did not show the 'no signal' message). So, right now, I have one monitor plugged in. I should also note that before trying to switch, I was working with this new computer with just one DVI monitor connected to it. What the heck do I do?????????

Thank you for any help,
Andy

Solution
You can rearrange monitors in Display properties or swap connections to monitors. Does the same thing.
Set monitor as main in (Display Properties), where you want notifications to go.
Jan 31, 2021
So, you have 3 DVI monitors? What happens if you connect another to the PC while it's running? Is it being picked up in windows? Did you update your GPU drivers? Are the other monitors picked up in the radeon software?

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
So, you have 3 DVI monitors? What happens if you connect another to the PC while it's running? Is it being picked up in windows? Did you update your GPU drivers? Are the other monitors picked up in the radeon software?
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I just downloaded a driver from the Gigabyte website. I got an app that lists all the displays and all 3 are listed. I can now see two of my monitors, but the HP (which is a high resolution display, 2560 x 1600) is blank. If I move my mouse to the right edge of one of the lower resolution monitors, it shows up on the rightmost monitor and works in the reverse direction. I'm using this active display port to DVI adapter for the HP - https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dis...7X9Ek0aAjp7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#tabs_section . The adapter is supposed to support 2560 x 1600.

Jan 31, 2021
Dvi doesnt support resolutions above 1920×1200 you'll have to connect it another way, with HDMI or Displayport. If you dont have that you can go to the settings in the radeon software or in windows and select a custom resolution for that monitor. You'll have to set it to 1920x1080 and it should work.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Try connecting HP monitor without any adapters.
Could be - one you DP-DVI adapters is faulty.
I cannot connect the HP without an adapter, the card does not have a DVI connector. I tried using the active adapter with one of the Acers, it worked fine. And plugging one of the other adapters to the HP resulted in no picture, but the power light blinked.

However, I think I found the problem, I just read comments that the active adapter I bought does not support 2560 x 1600, it only goes to 2560 x 1440. So, I guess I must resume my quest for an adapter that works for my monitor (although, I don't see why the screen would be dark, shouldn't it show at the lower resolution?)

Jan 31, 2021
The screen is dark because your PC is trying to output an image at a higher res than the adapter can handle (its receiving a signal but doesnt know how to interpret it). If you want to use this monitor ASAP you can use it by setting a custom resolution in windows or your driver settings.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
The screen is dark because your PC is trying to output an image at a higher res than the adapter can handle (its receiving a signal but doesnt know how to interpret it). If you want to use this monitor ASAP you can use it by setting a custom resolution in windows or your driver settings.
Thank you for responding to my question. I just pulled out the adapter and ordered one that looks like it really should work, and it will be here Tuesday. So, I'll see how that goes. If all goes well, I'll be done. If not, I'll try what you suggested.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
No problem, good luck!
I should mention one thing based on your earlier reply. When the computer is on and I hook up the HP, Windows does not detect the monitor. In other words, if I right click on the desktop and select Display, only the two good Acer monitors show up. The Radeon Settings program will show the existence of the monitor. I also tried to see if HP had a driver for Windows 10 for my monitor. The latest driver they had was for Windows 7 64 bit. Does this mean that I may not be able to use my HP LP3065?

Jan 31, 2021
In most cases monitors do not need drivers so I wouldn't worry about it. (They get registered as generic pnp monitors) in fact I would uninstall any driver you previously had, if it's still from win7.
The fact it doesnt show up in windows is again due to the resolution mismatch. It would be picked up by windows if you set the resolution in the radeon software.
Its picked up by radeon because its basically controlling your gpu driver and sees more than windows.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
In most cases monitors do not need drivers so I wouldn't worry about it. (They get registered as generic pnp monitors) in fact I would uninstall any driver you previously had, if it's still from win7.
The fact it doesnt show up in windows is again due to the resolution mismatch. It would be picked up by windows if you set the resolution in the radeon software.
Its picked up by radeon because its basically controlling your gpu driver and sees more than windows.
The new adapter arrived and YAY!!! I can see my 30 inch monitor again. But now, another, related question. The system seems to use the leftmost monitor when I would like the center monitor to be the one used. For example, if I change the time to turn on the screen saver, the window pops up at the extreme left of the leftmost monitor. It used to pop up at the left edge of the center monitor. How do I change that?

How do I change that?
Drag them around and rearrange, however you want.

P659E.png

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
Drag them around and rearrange, however you want.

P659E.png
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. One of my 'requirements' (because I want to reproduce how my Windows 7 machine was set up) is to have the 30" monitor in the middle and the smaller monitors to the side, and to have the center monitor be the one where the notifications, volume control, and the little arrow that shows hidden running programs is located. I was wondering, would swapping the connectors of the left and center monitors on the card followed by rearranging them using the Customize your display screen accomplish this?