Only one of two CPU Cores seem to Working

Aug 16, 2018
My CPU is a Intel(R) Pentium (R) CPU G4560 @3.50GHz, it uses two cores 4 with threads

This issue started when i realised that any games i was playing seemed to be running with Frame rate lag, A friend of mine suggested i increase the number of cores used at boot using msconfig into boot into advanced options, At this point I saw 4 options for the number fo cores i could use, it was at 1 i set it 2.

Even after that I still found that my CPU was hitting 100% usage with voice apps like discord as well as steam, despite these programs simply being idle.

later on it seemed to be getting worse, I went to reset my hotfix, but the advanced setting only showed 2 options for the number of cores used 1 and 2, after a reset without any change there is now only 1 available, this is consistent across programs like cpu temperature checkers. Task manager shows only 1 logical processor.

This means that my computer is very slow and everything is hard to run, any suggestions would be very appreciated if you need any more information just ask, system restore is not working either by the way.

Solution
In the msconfig, do you see an option called something like "number of processors?" If it is selected, then try unselecting that and restarting your pc. That settings is not a hard/fast rule on how many cores are used. If it shows 1 core grayed out when it is unselected, that does not mean it was only using 1 core.

If you think it is using less cores than it should, then you should probably first cross reference the task manager info with 3rd party software like cpu-z

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
In the msconfig, do you see an option called something like "number of processors?" If it is selected, then try unselecting that and restarting your pc. That settings is not a hard/fast rule on how many cores are used. If it shows 1 core grayed out when it is unselected, that does not mean it was only using 1 core.

If you think it is using less cores than it should, then you should probably first cross reference the task manager info with 3rd party software like cpu-z

Solution
Aug 16, 2018

I tried to uncheck the box and restart, task manager continues to say that a single core and logical processor is being used, 3rd party software says a single core is being used, specifically one used for checking cpu temperature and the problem of a slow computer also seems to persist.

Temperature monitoring (and other) tools will only show one core because it is only one real physical core even with HT working.
If task manager shows you two logical processors then that's enough,you have one core+HT working while the other core is off.

Tell us your mobo model or upload a few pics from the bios screens.
If you somehow had windows from your previous system or something then the first thing you should do is a clean install of windows.

Aug 16, 2018
So as of right now, the problem seems to have fixed itself for some reason, either that or task manager has suddenly turned around and started noticing the cores and logical processors, since where it originally said one of each it is now back to 2 and 4 respectively, which is correct. Though the problem of high cpu usage seems to have stopped as well so I don't think that that is the case.

I am still slightly worried though as even though its fixed, i had already done a huge number of hard restarts and it did not fix it then, it suddenly doing it now worries me a bit, for now I will just say this is solved but I may have to create another forum later on if I notice any other problems.