Only one POST, unless cables reseated

Remco32

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I'm building myself a PC, but I can only get to POST once. Once I POST and restart the computer, the fans start spinning for a second, and then shut off. If I reseat some cables, it sometimes allows me to POST another time. But after a reboot the same thing happens again.
Any clue how to fix this?

Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

I thought "the fans start spinning for a second, and then shut off. " was a short or failed PSU. I'm thinking the cable wiggling timne gave the power supply time to reset. Consider the 'bread-boarding' described in the above reference.

Standard debugging is to pull parts until the system posts. In your case pull all PCI card, memory, etc and see if that lets the PSU stay on. IF so the last part you pulled is suspect. Try putting it back in, sometimes reseating a card can fix the problem. Also follow all the other advice in the reference, like making sure that the right power cables are plugged, standoffs are using, cables are not pinched/sorted, etc.

Remco32

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I got the PC up and running. The problem were the RAM channels. For some reason the MoBo didn't like having 2 sticks of RAM inserted at the same time.