[SOLVED] Only one slot of RAM working ?

Bubble16

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
So I recently built a ryzen pc with used parts.
Specs:
Gigabyte a320m-h
Ryzen 2600
2x Corsair Vengeance 8gb 3000mhz (both exact model)
Powercolor R7 265
500w PSU (it has 4 pin cpu connector but I will buy a new psu soon)

The problem is when I install RAM into first ram slot, it appears to be working but if I try the second slot the fans spin but there's no image on screen. If I install into both slots it also works, bios detects 16gb ram but windows says only 8gb is usable. Also xmp won't work with both installed ?
What could be causing this?

Solution
Specs:
Gigabyte a320m-h
Ryzen 2600
Powercolor R7 265

The problem is when I install RAM into first ram slot, it appears to be working but if I try the second slot the fans spin but there's no image on screen. If I install into both slots it also works, bios detects 16gb ram but windows says only 8gb is usable. Also xmp won't work with both installed ?
There is always a primary slot, consult MB manual which one it is.
3000 MHz is kinda high for that MB and requires really good memory preferably with Samsung b-die chips. Try with a bit...
Specs:
Gigabyte a320m-h
Ryzen 2600
Powercolor R7 265

3000 MHz is kinda high for that MB and requires really good memory preferably with Samsung b-die chips. Try with a bit lower settings and/or higher voltage.
You have one of cheapest and worst MBs with 300 chipset so don't expect much.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Specs:
Gigabyte a320m-h
Ryzen 2600
Powercolor R7 265

First thing is to reset CMOS.

You might try manually setting the RAM voltage in BIOS, if it allows that on an A320 board. Start with the voltage rating on the memory package, possibly something around 1.35V, but you can go as high as 1.5V to see if it will work. I wouldn't run it at greater than 1.4V 24/7 though.

For a single stick of memory the furthest DIMM slot from the CPU should be the best one (actually, it shouldn't matter on a two socket board since each socket is a separate channel.) If it refuses to work with memory in that slot you could have either a defective motherboard or CPU since each socket attaches to separate pins on the CPU (dual channel). Are you sure no pins on the CPU are bent....or missing entirely?

And last, keep in mind that Ryzen 2000 CPU's are rated only to 2933 memory speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubble16

Bubble16

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
3000 MHz is kinda high for that MB and requires really good memory preferably with Samsung b-die chips. Try with a bit lower settings and/or higher voltage.
You have one of cheapest and worst MBs with 300 chipset so don't expect much.

So maybe the reason why it won't post is due to not installing into primary slot or am I wrong? Also it defaults to 2133mhz ram and even with that I can't get that slot working.

First thing is to reset CMOS.

You might try manually setting the RAM voltage in BIOS, if it allows that on an A320 board. Start with the voltage rating on the memory package, possibly something around 1.35V, but you can go as high as 1.5V to see if it will work. I wouldn't run it at greater than 1.4V 24/7 though.

For a single stick of memory the furthest DIMM slot from the CPU should be the best one (actually, it shouldn't matter on a two socket board since each socket is a separate channel.) If it refuses to work with memory in that slot you could have either a defective motherboard or CPU since each socket attaches to separate pins on the CPU (dual channel). Are you sure no pins on the CPU are bent....or missing entirely?

And last, keep in mind that Ryzen 2000 CPU's are rated only to 2933 memory speed.

I tried resetting multiple times but still the same. Unfortunely the mobo doesn't allow changing voltage. Also the cpu pins are in great shape and I reseated it multiple times.

So maybe the reason why it won't post is due to not installing into primary slot or am I wrong? Also it defaults to 2133mhz ram and even with that I can't get that slot working.

I tried resetting multiple times but still the same. Unfortunely the mobo doesn't allow changing voltage. Also the cpu pins are in great shape and I reseated it multiple times.
Well...your board has only two memory DIMM slots, or sockets. Since the MCU is dual channel each of those sockets is the primary socket for each of the two channels.

Were you able to run both or eitherDIMM at default settings, no XMP? Keep in mind your CPU is rated only to 2933 memory and XMP will set it to 3000. Not being able to adjust voltage makes overclocking difficult.

But then it also sounds like some thing might be wrong, if so it could be either CPU, motherboard or one of your DIMM's. At least try to eliminate the DIMM's by running each in the one socket that seems to work consistently, even with XMP, and run a memory test. You can load MemTest86 to a USB flashdrive and boot to it to run a test without loading up an OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubble16

Bubble16

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
Well...your board has only two memory DIMM slots, or sockets. Since the MCU is dual channel each of those sockets is the primary socket for each of the two channels.

Were you able to run both or eitherDIMM at default settings, no XMP? Keep in mind your CPU is rated only to 2933 memory and XMP will set it to 3000. Not being able to adjust voltage makes overclocking difficult.

But then it also sounds like some thing might be wrong, if so it could be either CPU, motherboard or one of your DIMM's. At least try to eliminate the DIMM's by running each in the one socket that seems to work consistently, even with XMP, and run a memory test. You can load MemTest86 to a USB flashdrive and boot to it to run a test without loading up an OS.

Each sticks works with xmp in the working slot without problem so both dimms are probably fine. I hope the problem is motherboard because it is still under warranty but cpu is not. I already tried memtest86 and with both sticks installed and it says 8gb usable out of 16 like windows does.

Last edited: