[SOLVED] Only one stick of ram works in 1 slot

Jul 16, 2021
I have an ASUS PRIME Z590-P, i7 11700k, GTX 2060 & 16GB of Dual Channel G.SKILL Trident Z ram at 3600 mhz. I've also tried a set of dual channel Crucial Ballistix at 3600 mhz aswell, and it seems I only get video signal when I have one stick of ram in my A2 slot, when I have any stick of ram in another slot I am not getting any video signal but my fans run fine & the G.SKILL's RGB lights up.

Solution
The ram should be in A1 and A2, or in B1 and B2, showing to be 1st and 2nd to the left from the CPU, or in 3rd and 4th to the left from the CPU in order to run in dual channel. It should work in A1/B1, maybe A2/B2 but not in dual channel. Any combo of A1/B2, A2/B2, or A2/B1 probably won't post.

If you've tried the ram individually in A1 only, or in B1 only verifying that both sticks do 100% work, but none of the above dual channel configs work, then I would RMA the motherboard or try to get Micro Center to warranty their labor and make them RMA it.

Individual slots can be faulty. I refurb OEMs/random parts I scoop up into budget gaming comps and flip them as a side business and recently I had a Compaq motherboard with a dead A2...
Jul 16, 2021
Was it previously working or is this a new build? What happened to lead you to testing it with only one in A2? Typically the opposite would happen, A2 or B2 wouldn't work without ram in the corresponding "1".
It's a new build. Funny story, I took it to Micro Center to get it fixed & the tech left the ram stick in B2 unplugged, and then it had video signal so I believe this has been the issue sense the beginning, could what he did have shorted the slot?

You're really vague with your info. Give the entire story from the beginning including when it worked, what worked, how many sticks of ram you have, what combo gave a video signal and which didn't, what if any beeps you are getting when the pc attempts to start, and start with a full build list including motherboard, cpu, ram, video card and power supply including model numbers.

Jul 16, 2021
You're really vague with your info. Give the entire story from the beginning including when it worked, what worked, how many sticks of ram you have, what combo gave a video signal and which didn't, what if any beeps you are getting when the pc attempts to start, and start with a full build list including motherboard, cpu, ram, video card and power supply including model numbers.

I purchased all the parts around a month ago, the first thing I noticed after booting it up was I got no video signal, I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked so I took it to Micro Center around 2 weeks ago, the tech then "repaired" the computer but all he did was leave 1 stick of ram unplugged (which seemed accidental), as soon as I noticed I plugged it in and tried to boot, once again I received no video signal. I took out the stick of ram that caused it to stop working, (slot B2) put it in the slot that was working (slot A2) and it booted no problem, this was all with my set of Crucial Ballistix, I then tried with my set of G.SKILL and received the same problem.

Spec Sheet:
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z590-P
CPU - Intel Core i7-11700K
GPU - GTX 2060 6GB
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA

No beeps when I start with both sticks of ram, just no video signal. After I reboot with the single stick I get a screen saying the computer failed to post the last boot.

The ram should be in A1 and A2, or in B1 and B2, showing to be 1st and 2nd to the left from the CPU, or in 3rd and 4th to the left from the CPU in order to run in dual channel. It should work in A1/B1, maybe A2/B2 but not in dual channel. Any combo of A1/B2, A2/B2, or A2/B1 probably won't post.

If you've tried the ram individually in A1 only, or in B1 only verifying that both sticks do 100% work, but none of the above dual channel configs work, then I would RMA the motherboard or try to get Micro Center to warranty their labor and make them RMA it.

Individual slots can be faulty. I refurb OEMs/random parts I scoop up into budget gaming comps and flip them as a side business and recently I had a Compaq motherboard with a dead A2. It would post B1/B2 dual channel or A1/B1 non dual channel, but anything in A2 at all and no post.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 16, 2021

Individual slots can be faulty. I refurb OEMs/random parts I scoop up into budget gaming comps and flip them as a side business and recently I had a Compaq motherboard with a dead A2. It would post B1/B2 dual channel or A1/B1 non dual channel, but anything in A2 at all and no post.
Welp, it works now. Thank you so much! The motherboard has A2 & B2 starred but you were correct.