Question Only one USB adapter (MicroSD to USB-A) works, others do not ?

Jan 17, 2022
I create MP4 files on 32GB uSD cards (formatted FAT32) on one of my PC's inserted into a USB port via an adapter. I have two of these adapters and one recently went bad. 32GB seems to be the maximum size that my TV can mount/read, I assume it has to do with the USB port version being old. There are no F/W updates for my TV on the manufacturer's site.

The problem is that these adapters were free and just thrown in with some uSD cards I bought years ago. When the one adapter went bad, I bought some adapters on the Internet. The new problem is, they don't work when plugged into my TV to watch the MP4 movies or TV shows. The TV is old but it was top of the line back in 2012 when I bought it. For what it's worth, the TV is a Sharp Aquos LC70LE735U (70" High Def).

The 'freebee' adapters that work are CeaMere brand.

I tried another USB thumb drive and it also works but it is only 2GB and many MP4 movies are more than 1GB each.

The problem seems to be compatibility but I don't know which way to go to get around it. I cannot figure out why the new adapters I bought won't work, I thought they were simply pass through adapters but there is more going on here.

I took the uSD card and it works with either adapter, the remaining working old adapter, or any of the new adapters in any of my PC's. So, the only failing scenario is the old bad adapter or any of the new adapters when plugged into the TV. The TV does not recognize the drive. Basically the USB port selection should be bright but it is greyed out when these new adapters are plugged in.

Does anyone know how to tell the differences on simple adapters? I mean, I can't just keep buying different adapters and hope to get lucky. Any ideas?

Jan 17, 2022
Does anyone know how to tell the differences on simple adapters? I mean, I can't just keep buying different adapters and hope to get lucky. Any ideas?

Since no one answered and I really don't understand the situation I figured I needed to take a chance on a solution. I SWAG'ed it (Scientific Wild Aimed Guess) or something like that.

I figured 'old TV', old storage technology. So, I bought the oldest 32GB USB 2.0 Flash drives I could find locally and bought two at Walmart for $12.00.

There is no solid technical reason that the TV would not accept the newer USB storage since they're all "supposed" to be backwards compatible but I have a working solution and that is what matters most.

Thanks to anyone that looked at my question and gave it any thought.