Only person getting slow internet speeds

CHRlS

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
My computer is getting slow internet speeds. My phone and other computers and devices in my house are all getting 50+mbps (paying for 60mbps) while I am getting around 10-15 at most. I never got this low of speeds till recently. I normally got somewhere between 30-40 since I am wireless one room down from the router. I can't really figure it out what it is causing this. Could it be my usb Wifi adapter? I was thinking of getting a new one because the one I currently use is really cheap.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
So you were getting between 30-40 in the same location, and phone & other devices haven't seen a drop?

It sounds like it's driver related to me, and uninstall/reinstall of the Wifi driver should rectify the issue.

If you're using a cheap USB adapter, from a no-name brand & relying on Windows to find drivers for you, that could definitely be the cause.,

Directly above and below a router (with its antennas pointed straight up/down) are where the signal strength is the weakest. If your router has multiple antennas, you may be able to correct this by tilting one of the antennas about 45 degrees. It's still not ideal, and it may cause problems for other people. But it's better than sitting in the holes directly above and below.

Phones and laptops have WiFi antennas. On phones it's usually internal and the length of the entire phone. On laptops it's two wires that sit inside the lid next to the screen. Most USB WiFi adapters on the other hand have tiny stub antennas the width of a USB port in order to keep the size small. These are next to useless as an antenna, and rely on overwhelming signal strength from the router to maintain a connection. In other words, they'll drop off in speed faster than phones and laptops as you get further away from the router, or if you're in the holes above and below the router. If there's a way for you to temporarily move your computer closer to the router (preferably on the same floor), you could do that to test if weak signal strength is indeed your problem.

There are a bunch of other factors which could be causing your problem, but based the info you've given the above two are the most likely causes I can think of. Try adjusting one antenna on the router. And if that doesn't work, I'd try replacing the USB WiFi adapter with one that has an antenna.

CHRlS

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

Unfortunately when I went to Belkin's site to download the drivers for my wifi adapter (n300) and ran the wizard it completely disabled my device I guess the driver just doesn't work because I recall doing this before and it didn't work so I had to use my physical disc in my optical drive and install the drivers I originally have been using. One thing I forgot to add is that I recently started using a new motherboard and that's around the time I started getting such low speeds. Not sure if that could be part of the problem or not.