[SOLVED] Only some games crash / glitch

Feb 12, 2022
Hello. I purchased my PC for a hefty (to me) sum in late 2019. Ever since I bought it some games have issues. I assumed it was something particular to those games and I've spent well over 100 hours in the past 2 years trying to get things working properly. I've reinstalled divers, lowered settings, perused individual games forums for tips, as well as installed (and removed) various hardware monitors - I am at a loss. Even while the game is having issues I have not seen my resource meters maxed out (the one via task manager) for CPU/GPU/RAM. The cost to get something 'better' is quite high and I'm really at my wits' end here. I have a few hundred games on steam that function without issue as well as any games I have installed from Blizzard. I'll list the games that have issues as well as the system specs below.

1.) Total War Warhammer 2 - after a period of time (could be 2 minutes, could be 30 minutes) the screen will go black for a moment. Sometimes everything comes back and the game starts to chug/lag.
2.) Gears Tactics - similar issues to above
3.) Warhammer 40K Inquistor/Martyr - whenever I play it will eventually lock up. Sometimes audio continues to play, other times I have to use the task manager to close it.
4.) Total War Saga: Troy (via Epic) - similar issues to 1 and 2 above but I've never had the game last more then 10 minutes before issues start.
5.) Tyranny Gold Edition

There are probably a few others but these 5 stand out. I have never had any issues with the machine other then when gaming.

My Rig is as below:

Processors : Intel Core i9 9900K 8-Core 3.6GHz (5.0GHz TurboBoost)
Motherboard : ASRock Z390M PRO4
Memory : 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3000MHz (2x16GB)
System Cooling : ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 240 Sealed Liquid Cooling System
System Fans : ORIGIN PC Maximum Fan Kit
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA 8GB GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER FOUNDERS EDITION
Operating System Drive : 960GB Force MP510 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
Power Supply : CORSAIR 750 RM SERIES PLUS GOLD
Monitor : Dell AW3418DW - Alienware Gsync enabled monitor (I've tried it both off and on)

All fans appear to be functioning properly and I do keep them free of dust. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Solution
Were all the games in question freshly installed with this particular mainboard/CPU/GPU set of hardware?

Might have an overnight run of Memtest86 just to see how RAM checks out in extended testing...(and/or, test at slightly lower RAM speed, say 2666 or 2933 instead of 3000 MT/sec...) If you have access to another RAM kit, swap it for a day or two just to experiment)

Is MCE enabled (if applicable) within BIOS? (This would manifest itself with attempted all-core operations of 5 GHz, whereas default /stock operation should reflect sustained 4.7 GHz clock speeds...

What clock speeds/core temps are reflected within HWMonitor when you run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for 15 minutes? (Be sure to stop it when done)

As for the GPU, you might try...
Were all the games in question freshly installed with this particular mainboard/CPU/GPU set of hardware?

Might have an overnight run of Memtest86 just to see how RAM checks out in extended testing...(and/or, test at slightly lower RAM speed, say 2666 or 2933 instead of 3000 MT/sec...) If you have access to another RAM kit, swap it for a day or two just to experiment)

Is MCE enabled (if applicable) within BIOS? (This would manifest itself with attempted all-core operations of 5 GHz, whereas default /stock operation should reflect sustained 4.7 GHz clock speeds...

What clock speeds/core temps are reflected within HWMonitor when you run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for 15 minutes? (Be sure to stop it when done)

As for the GPU, you might try partially downclocking it (both GPU core and VRAM speeds), or, testing that GPU in another rig if possible..? (It can be hard to find someone willing to do this for you, however, but, acquiring another 2070 is also not easy!)

Also, although deleting partitions and fully reinstaling OS, Windows updates, mainboard/GPU drivers, apps, and games is not fun, it also helps rule out a simple botched OS or driver playing havoc...

Any PSU can have issues supplying adequate current/voltage to some GPUs under gaming loads...if/when you do swap with another of more than adequate wattage, be sure you do NOT mix modular cables between PSUs...

Solution
Feb 12, 2022
Thanks for your swift reply. Yes, all games were installed with this setup (I have not replaced / upgraded any hardware since purchase). I believe MCE is not applicable, I could not find a setting in BIOS.

After running HWMonitor it showed 4699 mhz for all cores and temps between 70-77 C.

I think I may not be technically saavy enough for Memtest but I'll dive deeper into how to run it. I will also look up how to downlock the GPU and VRAM speeds to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for you time!