Only stereo output is given while playing audio, but configuration test works well as 5.1

Yeshas Nag

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
hi, im facing problems while playing audio in 5.1 surround sound, i get only stereo sound, not even the base, but when i do the configuration test, each sound is played in its respective channel
I have a third party sound card (zippys) and i have a gigabyte motherboard

Solution
The configuration test uses the AC3 sampling, thus the sound is available independently from each channel. What you are trying to play is encoded in Stereo (L+R) 2 channel audio track (MP3), what you ought to play is a BluRay or Dvd with Dolby 5.1 (Pure) and you'll get all the sounds independently from each channel.

If you want your MP3s also to be played like that you'll need to download the AC3 filter, from http://www.ac3filter.net/ and then configure it completely to play audio through it.

PS: Remember the 2 channel audio track are going to be played as 5.1 virtually, since they do not have the required data in the stream, by virtually I mean, it's programming logic that is going to upmix the 2 CH stereo to a Virtual 5.1 Output...
The configuration test uses the AC3 sampling, thus the sound is available independently from each channel. What you are trying to play is encoded in Stereo (L+R) 2 channel audio track (MP3), what you ought to play is a BluRay or Dvd with Dolby 5.1 (Pure) and you'll get all the sounds independently from each channel.

If you want your MP3s also to be played like that you'll need to download the AC3 filter, from http://www.ac3filter.net/ and then configure it completely to play audio through it.

PS: Remember the 2 channel audio track are going to be played as 5.1 virtually, since they do not have the required data in the stream, by virtually I mean, it's programming logic that is going to upmix the 2 CH stereo to a Virtual 5.1 Output.... so if you're listening to Mozart on Monoliths , it's not going to work that well. But for the average listener, it's going to be just fine.

Solution