Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

I have inadvertently disabled my sound card and cannot system restore it -
hence I have no sound !

I tried to be clever and downloaded what I thought was an update for my
sound card from the Microsoft update page
(Custom - Hardware - C- media AC 97 ?)

I thought it was an update for my CMI Audio X3d ?

Now I cannot find mine original one anywhere (it is on the start up list and
used to appear as an icon )

And all is quite.

I have tried to system restore in an effort to back track but it will only
go so far and tell me it cannot restore - try another one. unfortunately
with the same result.

Any advice help would be gratefully received !

Incidentally the system properties now seem to save a yellow exclamation
mark and the name of the 'new' device ?

What can I do !!

many thanks everyone

Jim

Hello,

HOW TO: Use the Driver Roll Back Feature to Restore a Previous Version of a Device Driver in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306546

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"jimbo" <owl2@herandnow.com> wrote in message news:dk2Ne.9358$bf6.1557@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>I have inadvertently disabled my sound card and cannot system restore it - hence I have no sound !
>
> I tried to be clever and downloaded what I thought was an update for my sound card from the
> Microsoft update page
> (Custom - Hardware - C- media AC 97 ?)
>
> I thought it was an update for my CMI Audio X3d ?
>
> Now I cannot find mine original one anywhere (it is on the start up list and used to appear as an
> icon )
>
> And all is quite.
>
> I have tried to system restore in an effort to back track but it will only go so far and tell me
> it cannot restore - try another one. unfortunately with the same result.
>
> Any advice help would be gratefully received !
>
> Incidentally the system properties now seem to save a yellow exclamation mark and the name of the
> 'new' device ?
>
> What can I do !!
>
> many thanks everyone
>
> Jim