[SOLVED] Open air case questions: cooling and case options for microatx?

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I am putting together a modest productivity (mostly) build around a Ryzen 5 2600x, 16 gb 3200 RAM, NVME boot disk, SSD media drive, probably a rx 570/rx 580 video card. I currently have a micro atx motherboard (AsRock B450M Pro4 - it came in a good deal with the CPU - $180 bucks for both at Microcenter). I have been trying to find a case, and would like to get something that's distinct in a stylish more than a gamer RBG way. That has led me to potentially an open air case like the ThermalTake P series, and a couple questions:
  1. I'm not really interested in doing water cooling. Is it possible to run a lower-load system in an open air case without water cooling? Pros and cons? suggestions?
  2. Are there any microatx open air cases like the Tt P series I should consider? I'm looking elegant, not rawr, if that gives you a design idea.
Many thanks!

Solution
" Is it possible to run a lower-load system in an open air case without water cooling? "
For sure....I only run air and I use two systems for gaming and I can max out both CPUs with air coolers and stay well under 70C. So I don't think that will be an issue....especially if you aren't running at 100%.

As far as cases....I like my Corsair cases. They do have cases without all the RGB if that's what you're looking for.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...pageSize=12&q=:popular&show=Page#rotatingText
" Is it possible to run a lower-load system in an open air case without water cooling? "
For sure....I only run air and I use two systems for gaming and I can max out both CPUs with air coolers and stay well under 70C. So I don't think that will be an issue....especially if you aren't running at 100%.

As far as cases....I like my Corsair cases. They do have cases without all the RGB if that's what you're looking for.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...pageSize=12&q=:popular&show=Page#rotatingText

Solution

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/c/Cor_Products_Cases?sort=newest&pageSize=12&q=:popular&show=Page#rotatingText

Jay, sorry my question could have been clearer...what I was getting at (and thanks for the link!) was whether you could do air-only cooling in one of those open-air cases...where you can't control airflow because it's just open. Or whether those are designed only for water cooling. I like the aesthetic of the cases like the Thermaltake Core P1/P3/etc but if I have to use water cooling with them, it's a deal-breaker.

Jay, sorry my question could have been clearer...what I was getting at (and thanks for the link!) was whether you could do air-only cooling in one of those open-air cases...where you can't control airflow because it's just open. Or whether those are designed only for water cooling. I like the aesthetic of the cases like the Thermaltake Core P1/P3/etc but if I have to use water cooling with them, it's a deal-breaker.
I run PCs with cases open all the time. They generally run at least as cool for me as with the case closed.
I assume an open case is similar to an open air case.

Reactions: justinbower