Open Beta For 'The Division' Starts Feb 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
One of the worst games I played in well over 10 years (closed crappy beta that nvidia invited half the planet to).
A human NPC with no armor (wearing a hoodie) can take 30 rounds to the head and not die. Everything is a bullet sponge to a frustrating level. Worst of all, the combat is not interesting, it is extremely repetitive, thus boring battles with common enemies can just drag on longer than they should.

In the past, other games that did not have as much combat freedom, would make the combat a little more interesting by adding hordes of enemies that were easier to kill so you were moving from place to place a lot more.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Well, I happened to think the beta was a good sign. The amount of content/variety is certainly a concern for me as well, but I knew that question wasn't going to be answered by a beta. What the beta showed was that the game was put together well and the mechanics worked. In other words, it wasn't broken and it looked NICE. Combat was fluid and the dark zone was tense. That was enough to get me to pre-order and I am a huge Ubisoft cynic (or actually, as they have demonstrated, realist). I am not sure how people came to all these other conclusions about the full game based on just a beta, but as far as I'm concerned, they will not be missed.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
One of the worst games I played in well over 10 years (closed crappy beta that nvidia invited half the planet to).
A human NPC with no armor (wearing a hoodie) can take 30 rounds to the head and not die. Everything is a bullet sponge to a frustrating level.

No idea what gun you were using since even when I first started in the closed beta, enemies took at most 3-4 rounds with headshots. In any game like this (MMO, semi-online game), early weapons are not going to one shot things. I never felt like I had to unload an entire clip into an enemy. If it took a clip to kill an enemy it was because I missed a large portion of my shots from the enemy moving.

Synagogue13

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
A human NPC with no armor (wearing a hoodie) can take 30 rounds to the head and not die. Everything is a bullet sponge to a frustrating level. Worst of all, the combat is not interesting, it is extremely repetitive, thus boring battles with common enemies can just drag on longer than they should.

In the past, other games that did not have as much combat freedom, would make the combat a little more interesting by adding hordes of enemies that were easier to kill so you were moving from place to place a lot more.

Yeah, the main reason veterans like myself play shooter games is because of the one shot/one kill headshot. You take that away from us, you take out the entire point of playing the game.

It's ridiculous what I've seen so far from the game. I mean, people unloading full clips with auto rifles into the opponents vital points (at close range) and they just don't go down... In real life most of those weapons shoot through brick walls at medium range, at close range they crack a skull in half...

Seriously, what's the point of creating a real life like game if if you are going to destroy everything you built with such nonsense gameplay? Btw, what's up with the enemies rushing at you with pipes or baseball bats or whatever that is in a gun fight? lol Another game for low IQ, low skill kids and their consoles...

Argh, I was waiting to buy this game since the first images... they had to screw everything up. Now I wouldn't even play it for free except for checking out the graphs in ultra settings... such a shame.

Well, plenty of games ask you to suspend your disbelief when you're swinging a 7 foot longsword of UnGodly weight, and it takes multiple swings to down a creature of flesh and bone. We all know one swing, if you could manage it, would crush through flesh and bone in a single hit.

That market is saturated, and dare I say, other companies just do a better job in that arena.

It does sicken me that they used the Tom Clancy name for this. I think it should be judged on its own, without that extra help. I'd probably have a lot less issue with it if it didn't associate itself with that brand.

I enjoyed the beta for the most part. I had some pretty sweaty moments in the dark zone. Choosing when to rush, sneak around, hide, who to trust, optimal cover position, sometimes based solely on audio ques. It was pretty tense. The fact that you have goodies on you being visible for everyone really makes it.

The sponginess of enemies means you aren't properly geared / leveled for the area, and its kind of necessary or they'd have wasted all that time on a cover system.

Does any of that mean its good, or that I like it enough to purchase? Nope. I'll have some fun in the next beta and probably never look back.

stevemcqueen21

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
I think the common misconception among most veteran shooter players, is that "The Division" is a shooter. While shooting is the primary combat mode, this is not a shooter. It's an RPG. If someone who isn't used to playing RPGs comes into this thinking it's going to be another Call of Duty, BF4, etc, they're going to be disappointed. Headshots aren't that bad. A decent weapon will 1-shot same level non-elite mobs, and 2-shot elite mobs. Bosses may take a bit more depending on how much armor they have. Things like armor, item stats, weapon damage, etc, all come into play here, the same as they would in an RPG. To dismiss this as "The worst game ever" is unfair, as it may not be the best shooter ever, but that's because it's not a shooter.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
People complaining about enemies needing a lot of hits...it's an MMO. Why do you thing the guns have dps stats? If you want a more realistic shooter then go play an actual simulation type shooter like Arma or Battlefield.

As for content, it's a Beta, not a release. I don't understand why people expect something like 50% of the full game to be available when this was clearly a demo/server test that was originally scheduled for 3 days but got extended. Pro tip: if you're whining about content, wait for the game to actually release and wait for the reviews. It's like some of you have never played games before...

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

Haha, I got a pretty good deal and have been waiting for the Division for too long to pass it up. Maybe I am just not as big a cynic as many others :)

Status
Not open for further replies.