Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2019
Hello ,
I just bought a 2009 Mac Pro from a man from Craigslist. Shortly after booting the system, i soon realized that the Mac had no OS installed. So I followed the steps to installing the OS, and after selecting a hard drive to download it on, it said, "this action is temporarily unavailable." That's fine because I got a physical version of the OS. But when I was going to pop the CD in the slot, I realized that there is no button to open the tray. I searched on google "How to open CD Tray 2009 Mac Pro" and searches similar to that, but its was all on how to open the tray while on the desktop. I'm not in my desktop yet and i'm still in the utilities menu. Is there any way to open the CD Tray while in the utilities menu?
Thanks - Reeden

Solution
When you turn on the Mac. Immediately hold down the left or only mouse button. Keep holding until the tray open. Which should be shortly after the chime.

If that doesn't work and you have a non Apple keyboard. Hold down the Option key at boot. When the screen pops up to select a boot disc. Press the F12 key.

Edit: If these are Bluetooth keyboards/mice. You may need a USB keyboard/mouse. Some Macs won't recognize Bluetooth devices until after the OS starts to load.

You can also boot using Command-Option-R to enter Internet Recovery. Then install Mac OS X over the internet.

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I cannot say if it is the same for a MAC as it is for a "real computer", but all the cd/dvd drives I have seen have a pin hole on the bezel of the drive...it is just the right size to insert a heavy duty straightened paper clip in the hole and it will open the drive.

Larry

Feb 6, 2019

Sadly my mac has no pin hole in the bezel of the drive.....

When you turn on the Mac. Immediately hold down the left or only mouse button. Keep holding until the tray open. Which should be shortly after the chime.

If that doesn't work and you have a non Apple keyboard. Hold down the Option key at boot. When the screen pops up to select a boot disc. Press the F12 key.

Edit: If these are Bluetooth keyboards/mice. You may need a USB keyboard/mouse. Some Macs won't recognize Bluetooth devices until after the OS starts to load.

You can also boot using Command-Option-R to enter Internet Recovery. Then install Mac OS X over the internet.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.