open containing folder

DtM

Hi,
When I run a search, for a file, then right click the found file, and
choose to "open containing folder" It will open another search window. anyway
to fix this

Also when trying to open a folder from the RUN line, it also opens a search
window.
Think the 2 issues are related, But am having trouble finding a resolution.

Any help here will be great, Thanks

DTM

Royce

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

when you right click on the file and select "open containing folder", what
type of file is it (.exe,.gif,.txt,etc.) or does it happen for any file ext.?
and for the folder problem i would check in the registry. goto start > run
>type in regedit > goto hkey_classes_root > folder > shell > explore >
command > the data should be-
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e,/idlist,%I,%L
also check under hkey_classes_root > folder > shell > open >command > the
data should be- %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L

"DTM" wrote:

> Hi,
> When I run a search, for a file, then right click the found file, and
> choose to "open containing folder" It will open another search window. anyway
> to fix this
>
> Also when trying to open a folder from the RUN line, it also opens a search
> window.
> Think the 2 issues are related, But am having trouble finding a resolution.
>
> Any help here will be great, Thanks
>
> DTM

DtM

Royce,
Thanks for your response. The registry entries are what you have shown here.

I did a bunch of new searches, different extensions, and partial names.
looks like all extensions, will open an additional search window, when
selecting "open containing folder" EXCEPT........ if the file is in the root
of the C drive. Like a *.jpg will open the containing folder if in the C, but
that same file in my docs, or any other folder, opens another search window.

Win2k SP4, 5.00.2195

Thanks
DTM

"Royce" wrote:

> when you right click on the file and select "open containing folder", what
> type of file is it (.exe,.gif,.txt,etc.) or does it happen for any file ext.?
> and for the folder problem i would check in the registry. goto start > run
> >type in regedit > goto hkey_classes_root > folder > shell > explore >
> command > the data should be-
> %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e,/idlist,%I,%L
> also check under hkey_classes_root > folder > shell > open >command > the
> data should be- %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L
>
> "DTM" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > When I run a search, for a file, then right click the found file, and
> > choose to "open containing folder" It will open another search window. anyway
> > to fix this
> >
> > Also when trying to open a folder from the RUN line, it also opens a search
> > window.
> > Think the 2 issues are related, But am having trouble finding a resolution.
> >
> > Any help here will be great, Thanks
> >
> > DTM

DtM

Any other Ideas? I really don't want to reinstall.
Thanks
DTM