Open device failure/ open driver handle failure gigabyte

JayInHawaii

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
"Open device failure/ open driver handle failure" message when installing gigabyte utilities. The install fails. Does anyone know what might be causing this message?

Jay

JayInHawaii

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Yes. I have tried installing from the gigabyte dvd that came with the mb and also downloading install packages from gigabyte's site.

I have a hundred other programs that installed just fine. My drivers and bios are the latest.

Everything works great -- EXCEPT -- I can't install these gigabyte utility programs. These installs use installshield. My guess is that the install process is looking for another program but I can't imagine what it might be...

Jay

JayInHawaii

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
After much more searching the internet, I have concluded that Gigbyte has simply abandoned these utilities without announcing it was doing so. The motherboard works great but it would have been nice if these utilities had worked too. :ouch:

Oh well, live and learn.

Aloha,
Jay

vegas311

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

I did,.. Both Tried the CD that comes with mobo and from the One from Giga site but nothing works,..

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Right-click on 'Computer' and select 'Properties' from the bottom of the menu that pops up.

Read the Windows information at the top op that disk. Is there any mention of 'Service Pack 1'?

If it isn't there and you would like it, then Google 'Windows 7 Service Pack 1' and download and install either the 32- of 64-bit version as appropriate to your system.

This should automatically get .NET 4 installed on your computer.

If you don't want SP1 at this time, it can take two hours or so to install, then you can go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=17718

and directly download and install the .NET 4 Framework software.

Then try running your apps again.

It may be that you have .NET 4 installed but disabled in the Services list.

To check: Right-click on 'Computer', select 'Manage', open 'Services and applications' and then 'Services'.

On that screen you should see a list of services, some running, some stopped. Scroll down the list and see if 'Microsoft .NET 4 Framework...' is there. There should be two, a 32-bit one and a 64-bit one..

Are they disabled? Try setting them to 'manual' first.

If that doesn't help, try setting them to 'automatic'.

Hope this helps.

vegas311

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
thanks for the infos... i cant seem to find the service pack 1 in computer properties/ Windows Information.. But i find it in system Information written like this "6.1.7601 Servicepack 1 Build 7601"

bout the services.. Microsoft Netframework v4 is already in Auto mode. tried "Manual" but still installation didnt work.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Well, now, if I were in your position, this would bug the hell out of me and so I will make a suggestion by way of explaining what I would do next.

Firstly though I have to bore you by sharing some of my thoughts with you.

I have only been a member of this site for nearly a week and already, I can spell 'ntoskrnl.exe' without looking. I'm looking at all the 'driver' issues that are cropping up lately and I'm wondering, bearing in mind that most people have Automatic Updates set to 'Automatic', could Service Pack 1 be the issue and if so, how?

What I'm wondering is: Is Microsoft tacking to the same wind as Sony et al and attempting to move away from older protocols by 'discrediting' the technology that most of us are happy with?

If hardware developers want their technology to be used in our computers then they are forced into changing their products so that they will interface correctly with the new and improved driver language being endorsed by MS and which is supported by their O/S's.

Obviously this is a good thing for capitalism, create a demand and then supply it, but apart from the billions of euros that are accrued by the multi-national corporations, no-one benefits from these changes and, in the vast majority of cases, we have to endure a little suffering.

In the end, we are paying large sums of money in order to keep going as we were. I don't see why I should have to update software in order to carry out the procedures that I could do quite efficiently last week or last month.

It is change for the sake of change.

And this is what I mean by 'The Emperor wears no clothes'.

We trust Microsoft to produce good software. And I'm sure they could but what use is an 'everlasting light-bulb' to a company that produces light-bulbs?

So it is in Microsoft's best interest that we have 'virus problems'. Norton, McAfee, even 'Windows Defender' all profit from the existence of viruses. Sure, it's because of security inadequacies that the Windows O/S is in constant flux - Microsoft use the predator/prey competition argument to justify constant and 'wage-payingly regular' changes to the way we live our technology-based lives.

They change their driver language protocols and we all rush out to buy new machines with the 'crappy, plagiarised from Android Tablet O/S's' Windows 8 preinstalled.

Got a graphics problem? Buy a new machine.

Got an internet problem? Buy a new machine.

Sound problem? USB problem? Flat tyre on the car? Buy a new machine?

And there is plenty of room on the band-wagon for other hardware producers too.

Printer compatibility problem? Buy a new Printer. I've seen it. Qualified by the price of ink making it more economical to do so.

And we do! We trot up to Curry's or PC World and pay them to put our lives back into the order that we had become used to.

But we don't want to change, we don't need to change, it is 'them who in the grip of a recession, force us to change.

Intel, NVidia, Radeon, Realtech, Creative... the band-wagon is huge and all they have to do is abdicate responsibility for the drivers that implement their hardware - we need Microsoft to integrate all these services and they do so in a way that benefits shareholders much more than it benefits the user.

Ker-ching!

I did say that I would bore you.:na:

So, in your position, and it shouldn't come as a surprise to you, I would do the following:

In essence, what I am going to suggest is to try and install things in a different order and to try as far as we possibly can to minimise Microsoft's involvement in the process.

And the first thing I would do is to make sure I had my current system backed up so I could return to where I am now if something goes wrong.

If you need help here, then there are a few other threads that you can peruse on this site that deal with the issue; there may even be a 'Tutorial' on it.

I'm talking about creating an image of your system and storing it on an external hard drive.

The next thing is to go to that download link I posted and get the .NET 4 package and keep the file safe for later use.

When I was sure that my system was safely tucked away somewhere, then I would start uninstalling and the first thing I would uninstall is 'Internet Explorer 10' if indeed it is installed.

Now, I will say that this is likely to be a very time-consuming process but, as I say, I wouldn't be able to live with not being able to install my motherboard software as provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

I would have that niggling question somewhere in my mind: 'If Gigabyte can't produce decent software for their own gear, what does that say about the production values they adopt when manufacturing their hardware?'

I'd want to know.

(Before I did any of this, I might check to see if the driver package that came with the motherboard would operate in the current environment.)

I think you have to have Service Pack 1 in order to have I.E. 10 so I would restore it back to I.E. 9, first by going to my Installed Programs list and choosing the 'View installed updates' option on the top left there.

Find Internet Explorer 10 on the list and uninstall it.

When this was done and I'd made sure that I can get back online again, I would uninstall the Service Pack from the same list.

While I was at it, I would remove every single security update that I could find and then I'd be done with this page.

In fact, I would probably remove all the updates if I had unlimited and fast broadband and I would be a little more judicious about what is being installed onto my machine by doing it manually.

And definitely uninstall any .NET stuff.

I would then turn of 'Automatic Update.

After that, I would go back to the other Installed Programs list and remove everything that has to do with Gigabyte and, if there is onboard graphics on the motherboard, I would uninstall and remove my video card and would connect my monitor to the onboard VGA out.

I would then go to 'Device Manager' and uninstall all the drivers that apply to the motherboard. If I had a sound-card attached, I would uninstall and remove this too.

Also, I would uninstall and remove all my attachable device like printer, wireless mouse, etc, I would strip the system bare. (I wouldn't be worried, I have my back-up.)

Same with any installed cards. I would try to have as little hardware attached to the mother board as possible and I would even reduce the memory to 2 GB, 4 GB max, by removing half the sticks or utilising a single, small one.

Now, I would have a minimal Windows installation with no drivers, practically at the point at which the motherboard was installed and Windows is running for the first time.

(Actually, thinking about it, I would have done a complete reinstall from scratch, killed the partition on the drive completely during the windows install process and started from the beginning again.)

Now, when Windows starts, it should be missing drivers. It might have installed some generic ones but there will still be a yellow exclamation mark or two in Device Manager.

Then next thing that I would do is to install the .NET 4 software onto the system. And maybe do a restart.

At this stage, I would try to install the utilities, not the drivers, onto the machine.

Another thing that just struck me, is the disk that came with the motherboard bootable?

Anyway, if the software wouldn't install at this stage, I'd absorb as much info as I could from any error messages and would install the driver package. If there is a 'custom' option offered during the installation, accept it and choose absolutely everything you can.

Then try installing the apps again.

If they still wouldn't install then I would give some consideration to BIOS settings, AHCI etc. I think I would just have BIOS reset to its default configuration before dismissing Gigabyte as being really crap at programming.

In order to do that, I would need to know that in a system that contains only the motherboard and an O/S that it claims to support, the software utilities provided by Gigabyte won't install.

I might never use those utilities but I'd want to know.

Wouldn't you like to get to the bottom of it?

vegas311

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Well just like you im also new here, just joined a couple of weeks ago.

Nyway, :D
I got heavy nosebleed after those loads of infos and explanation :)
But i wont dissappoint u coz i actually read it from top to bottom,. But honestly i just cant do it, not that i dont want to but i have a crappy connection and a lot of programs installed. I dont have any partitions so starting from scratch would mean devastation coz of lots and lots of software re-installations with like around 20 games and 10 programs :( so i guess its a no-no for me i think this crappy utilities isnt worth the hassle.

Thx by the way.

Giga softwares sucks big time indeed.. But i have to cling to them coz in my place their hardwares is the best option you can get considering price/perfirmance

Well just for the info mY system is new, a week old to be precise so its basically a start from scratch. right after i installed OS i insert the CD and installed everything, i set on express installation which will automatically check and install everything (utility included) but it didnt work and that same error appeared. So a fresh OS installed wouldnt help i guess?

-help appreciated.

vegas311

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Effffffff bare with me, but may i ask if my BIOS version do have any affect with this problem? Current BIOS version F2 and ive been warned to void warranty whenever i update it.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I'm sorry about the tome that was my previous reply.

I don't see how BIOS could be the problem and you would think that Gigabyte would test their software on their hardware as it is released.

It could be simply that Gigabyte software is Megashite so you might have to Kilobyte the bullet and live without it.

I wish I had a Giga-board so that I could interrogate it further but apart from that, I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more assistance to you.

volitis

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
1) Cancel gdrv service by going to start menu and clicking on Run, then typing sc delete gdrv

2) Re-register gdrv service by by going to start menu and clicking on Run, then typing

sc create gdrv binPath = "C:\Windows\gdrv.sys" type = "kernel" DisplayName = "gdrv"

freethought78

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

WOW THANK YOU after searching everywhere and seeing nothing but failing results, this finally allowed me to install @BIOS on my machine! UNBELIEVABLE!

However i have to note here, that there was one final catch.

On windows 7 64 bit, your code for uninstalling the service worked fine, but the code for reinstalling the service needed to be tweaked a little bit:

The equal signs are finicky.. they cannot have a space on both sides of the equals, they cannot have NO spaces on either side of the equals.

They HAVE TO HAVE EXACTLY one space to the RIGHT of each equals. then it worked fine, the service was reregistered and the software installed!

For anyone else who somehow manages to find this post, the correct command for uninstalling the service is:

sc delete gdrv

as was stated, but the correct command for reregistering the service is not exactly what was posted, it is:

sc create gdrv binPath= "C:\Windows\gdrv.sys" type= "kernel" DisplayName= "gdrv"

with a space to the right of each equal sign but not to the left.

THANKS AGAIN i'm about to post this everywhere i have seen this issue come up with no resolution.

Spiritus

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Make sure you have full admin rights to "gdrv.sys".

rickvb

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Sorry to once again resurrect this, but I changed versions of Gigabyte motherboards, and I wanted to make sure I had all the right stuff installed afterwards, so I stupidly uninstalled everything. Nothing I try, including volitis' solution above, has worked. In the middle of installation (in this case, of EasyTune6), I get a dialog "Open driver handle failure!", and upon clicking OK I get another dialog "Unhandled Exception: Error Number 0x80040707 Description: DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr Setup will now terminate."

I even tried previous versions of the tool that had installed properly. Clearly, something has changed in Windows 7 since I installed it originally. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, by the way.

Any other ideas out there?
OK, never mind. I tried installing @BIOS and it went in fine. Then I installed Smart6 and then ONOFFCharge, and they both went without a hitch. I then rebooted the machine for about the 50th time today, and right after checking the other utilities, I tried one last time to install EasyTune6, and it installed without a problem. This was after failing at least 10 times, with intervening reboots etc. Not sure what I did, but it's in now.