[SOLVED] Open House Data Module (H628) wiring question

Jibsman57

Reputable
I am working on a house with an "Open House Ethernet Data Hub (H628). It was wired by another person, and they reversed the T&R wiring. IE: Brown and Light Brown are switched on the punchdown. The manual for the hub is attached. It lists:
Brown, Light Brown, Green, Light Green, Orange, Light Orange, Blue, Light Blue in that order (Light colors can also be striped, depending on the cable).
It's actually wired Light Brown, Brown, Light Green, Green, Light Orange, Orange, Light Blue, Blue.
The manual shows the color guide for connecting a RJ45 connector -
Light Green, Green, Light Orange, Blue, Light Blue, Orange, Light Brown, Brown.
Since it is punched down incorrectly I made the assumption for the RJ45 connector:
Green, Light Green, Orange, Light Blue, Light Orange, Brown, Light Brown.
When I connected the RJ45 to the colors above, my network cable tester shows the lights in the following order:
1, 2, 3, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4. (should be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I connected the tester to the hub using a regular RJ45-RJ45 cable to the RJ45 port on the hub (testing the cable shows it's wired correctly).
I am lost. The connection SHOULD work, but I can't figure it out, and if I continue to test in this manner I'll run out of cable (it's coming out from the wall and has about 6" left).
It seems the Open House Hub is changing connections internally, so it's not straight through 1-1. Can anyone help?
Module Manual

Solution
That is very strange and it does appear the module is crossing the pairs. What does not make a lot of sense is they cross the brown and blue pair also. Those are not used on 100mbps connections and gigabit does not have the concept of crossover cable. It transmits and receives on all 4 pair form both ends at the same time.

You can "fix" this but it will be confusing for whoever next messes with it.

All you need to do is swap the brown and blue wire pairs.
Depends on which end you want to do "wrong".
You could swap them on the patch panel side and use a standard 568a on the plug side or leave them on the patch panel side and use a none standard pattern on the plug side with the brown in the middle rather than the blue.

Ralston18

Titan
Need to go slow and carefully here - probably more for my sake than yours.

The H628 data hub recommends the use of the T568A standard.

Pin - Color

1 - White and Green
2 - Green
3 - White and Orange
4 - Blue
5 - White and Blue
6 - Orange
7 - White and Brown
8 - Brown

Pins 1 & 2 are Pair 3
Pins 3 & 6 are Pair 2
Pins 4 & 5 are Pair 1
Pins 7 & 8 are Pair 4

Pins matter and Pairs matter.

Especially for Ethernet cabling: Pairs 3 and Pairs 2.

What are the current hub and wall outlet punchdowns

Pin - Color

1 - White & Blue
2 - Blue
3 - White & Orange
4 - Orange
5 - White & Green
6 - Green
7 - White & Brown
8 - Brown

Appear to be just serially punched down with respect to wire colors and pairings per the Module Manual.

However, as I understand it all of the pairs are actually reversed but the browns are in 7 & 8, the greens in 5 & 6, the oranges in 3 & 4, and the blues in 1 & 2. Correct?

Are the punchdowns in the hub and corresponding punchdown in each wall outlet identical?

Can you tell if there is any extra loose cable left inside the wall as a "service loop"? Both at the hub and at the corresponding wall outlets. Are the cables labeled at the hub in order to identify the wall outlet?

Jibsman57

Reputable
Thank You!
This is what they say the punchdown should be:
uQG37D4.png

This is what it actually is:
cgwuLto.png

This is what they say the RJ45 should be:
HY5wBtw.png

This is what I tried:
The numbers indicate the lights from my network tester. Should be 1-8 but shows 1,2,3,8,7,6,5,4. I tried the colors under "TRY" and strangely enough the lights still showed 1,2,3,8,7,6,5,4 which made absolutely no sense and why I am asking for help.
I do appreciate your assistance!

Edit: I forgot to mention I pulled on the cable and there was no loop. I fear the installer did not really know much about networking cabling, but is an excellent Electrician.

That is very strange and it does appear the module is crossing the pairs. What does not make a lot of sense is they cross the brown and blue pair also. Those are not used on 100mbps connections and gigabit does not have the concept of crossover cable. It transmits and receives on all 4 pair form both ends at the same time.

You can "fix" this but it will be confusing for whoever next messes with it.

All you need to do is swap the brown and blue wire pairs.
Depends on which end you want to do "wrong".
You could swap them on the patch panel side and use a standard 568a on the plug side or leave them on the patch panel side and use a none standard pattern on the plug side with the brown in the middle rather than the blue.

Solution