News Open-Source, RISC-V Laptop Will Be Easy to Make and Upgrade

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
I really do hope an open standard like Risc-V is a big part of the future. It'll be really exciting to see the next say decade if risc-c circuitry will be able to perform not too far behind the leading edge x64 (and perhaps ARM) CPUs.

Reactions: vern72
D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah, I’m not interested either. I’m more interested in an ultra thin arm laptop.

I wouldn’t even saddle a child, or a Third World person with one of those. Shakes head

Bring back the phone that used to fit in your car and was 40 pounds. I’m sure we could make those cheap too.

Reactions: Dr3ams

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
What is this article.

Where is the source for this article from?
What is Bathlazar.space?
Who is behind Bathlazar.space?
Where is Bathlazar.space located?
Who finances Bathlazar.space?
Does Bathlazar.space have a site with more info?

We're supposed to guess all this stuff or something? What is this?

Writers don't want to be replaced by ChatGPT, but damn...it's not a high bar to cross.

Reactions: Grobe and Amdlova
D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it just like all the other failed devices out there

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I hope something tangible comes from this. I have long wanted to see build your own laptops rise and become a thing exactly the same way as a build your own desktop. A case from one provider, an OLED from some other company, the keyboard from another, an Asus motherboard in a laptop format, pick my ram, my m.2, and build it part by part by part. I know barebones options have been around for years, that's not good enough. I want a Lian Li laptop case.

With RISC CPUs generally running cooler that minimizes the need for a big heatsink, so thickness and weight considerations are negligible.

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
What is this article.

Where is the source for this article from?
What is Bathlazar(sic).space?
Who is behind Bathlazar(sic).space?
Where is Bathlazar(sic).space located?
Who finances Bathlazar(sic).space?
Does Bathlazar(sic).space have a site with more info?

We're supposed to guess all this stuff or something? What is this?

Writers don't want to be replaced by ChatGPT, but damn...it's not a high bar to cross.
Had you bothered to follow the link to the Balthazar website, instead of just moaning, you would have found a lot more information there.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Had you bothered to follow the link to the Balthazar website, instead of just moaning, you would have found a lot more information there.

Let me moan some more then. You're saying people are supposed to notice that there is a hidden link in this text?

People are supposed to hover over every letter to find a link?

Hiding your source in text so people can't find it and don't click away from your site is pure baloney.

ezgif-2-186a59ae08.gif

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Let me moan some more then. You're saying people are supposed to notice that there is a hidden link in this text?

People are supposed to hover over every letter to find a link?

Hiding your source in text so people can't find it and don't click away from your site is pure baloney.
This method of including links, in online publications, is very widely used. Suggesting the link is hidden so well that it is hard to see, is itself, "pure baloney".

AlphaCompton

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
I like the idea of an open source laptop, yes it's ugly , not sure why they wouldn't at least demo some normal looking colors, it's just a concept after all. Speaking of which, I can see this was made with good intentions but since it's meant to made by other companies I can see other companies adding proprietary firmware eliminating most or all of the benefits.

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
I don't get why companies are rushing towards ARM instead of RISC-V? Does RISC-V need a license too?

It's free to use, so they noone would need a license to make a risc-v product or anything based on risc-v. In order to use the risc-v marketing logo you'd need a license.

Reactions: vern72

wbfox

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
I don't get why companies are rushing towards ARM instead of RISC-V? Does RISC-V need a license too?
While ARM requires a license, RISC-V requires an entire ecosystem (and no, it's source code is not open, its just the ISA, so, yay?). Honestly, when you get down to it, RISC-V is going to be just as fragmented and schizophrenic if not orders of magnitude more than ARM with regard to things like drivers and software. Think about it, everyone will have their own unique CPU designs. There is no incentive to share across designs, in fact it encourages larger companies to start making their own more or less exclusive worlds that have very little in common with any other chip that is technically RISC-V. Are there going to be some that are totally open sourced and more generalized variants? Sure. There already are, but there are even more that are closed source and the trend is really looking like the things will remain parts of systems, not the entire system (ie Google using a risc-v design for their security chip in the phone, Same with espressif and the esp32-c3, nvidia using one to replace a single type of processor on a GPU card, bluetooth modules, etc..._). Just as an example, 2 boards from SiFive both require their own unique version of Ubuntu. No one is going to support that sort of thing on a generalist level for long and certainly not for free.
None of that even touches the new political dimensions that are opening up either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolay Mihaylov