[SOLVED] Open text file only once

low2020

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Hi all,

Is there anyway to open a text file in windows10 only once ?

Let's say i have a text file named A, when i open it with Notepad it opens, when i click on A again the same file opens again (so i have 2 same files opened). I want when i click on it again, it shows me the file already opens (this will avoid me to make modifications on the two same files).

Solution
Honestly, I'm not sure if you can do this in Windows default Notepad (someone else may be able to correct this).
However you can solve this by using Notepad++ instead as your default Notepad, which in all fairness, is Notepad, but much better.

When you assign this as default for TXT files it will just show you your currently open TXT document if you try to reopen it, as you described.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Honestly, I'm not sure if you can do this in Windows default Notepad (someone else may be able to correct this).
However you can solve this by using Notepad++ instead as your default Notepad, which in all fairness, is Notepad, but much better.

When you assign this as default for TXT files it will just show you your currently open TXT document if you try to reopen it, as you described.

Last edited:
Reactions: low2020
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

No you can’t do this but what you can do is use an editor like Notepad++ Which will open the files only once and keep them in separate tabs within the application

low2020

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020

Thank you all.

I installed Notepad++ and it works as you decribed. Is it possible to assign Notepad++ only for some txt files and let the others txt files open with Notepad by default ?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is it possible to assign Notepad++ only for some txt files and let the others txt files open with Notepad by default
No, this is a windows default assignment behaviour. When it sees a .txt file type, it will associate it to a certain program. There would be no feasible way to be able to tell your OS what files to open in different ways when the file type is the same.

But I also don't know why you would want to open them in both when Notepad++ is the same but just more features. :)

TRENDING THREADS