Open windows work until minimized and then pc freezes, have to hard power off

Davidmal

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Over the last week I've had a problem with my PC, I launch and it works fine for about 10 mins, until when using fire fox usually i notice webpages are no longer loading, the various windows are still working except once i minimise them I cant open them again, I then go to my desktop where nothing but sound and the mouse work, I have to then hard power my pc off, after a restart from a crash like that it works fine until i start it up again later. I checked my reliability history and it told me autokms, avira, and one note were having problems, I have since deleted them yet the problem persists, I think avira and one note have also reinstalled themselves. I have also run several free antivirus scans which have turned up with nothing (malware bytes and AVG). Thanks in advance, btw I had a third party set up my pc so I am not entirely sure what they have done with my OS( windows 10), this is the first time ive seen it in about a year of use

Solution
in a command prompt with admin rights again, copy/paste this in: (spacing is important)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

it is just an overpowered version of sfc. it checks the image file that you would use to install windows 10.

If it returns errors, I would think Firefox isn't the cause. You might be best of backing up stuff you want to keep and do a fresh install of windows 10.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
You might want to question your third party about your Windows licensing. AutoKMS is a pirate activator for Windows and Office.

Does this happen only when Firefox is opened? Does it not matter what the PC is doing and it does this?

Davidmal

Commendable
May 18, 2016

Yes it typically happens with firefox, I've deleted autokms, but its been there for about a year before i knew what it was. Do you think its only from firefox use?

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running SFC /scannow in a command prompt with admin rights. lets see if its windows corruption.

some places suggest this is an opengl or dx crash, but i haven't found anything conclusive.

try updating drivers for your gpu and any other devices on motherboard,

Davidmal

Commendable
May 18, 2016

I've updated all the drivers now, I managed to run the SFC scan and it came up with corrupt files it says "details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\Cbs.log. For Example C:\Windows\Logs \CBS\CBS.log . Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios"
What does this mean, is it the source of my problem?

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
If it definitely happens with Firefox it sounds like the issue might be there. Download a new installer for Firefox and remove the one you currently have (export your bookmarks or anything if you have them saved). Uninstall that version of Firefox and delete all its folders; do a search on your computer for Mozilla and delete all those folders. Then install a new version of Firefox and see what happens.

Colif

Win 11 Master
in a command prompt with admin rights again, copy/paste this in: (spacing is important)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

it is just an overpowered version of sfc. it checks the image file that you would use to install windows 10.

If it returns errors, I would think Firefox isn't the cause. You might be best of backing up stuff you want to keep and do a fresh install of windows 10.

Solution