Openfiles backup and recovery

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Does anyone have any information on how to backup openfiles or protected
files and/or directories for recovery purposes.

I have 1 physical IDE drive with 2 partitions:

C: drive - 1st OS - windows XP Home and Apps
D: drive - 2nd OS - windows XP Home and nothing else.

I boot of using the 2nd OS and try to straight copy all the C: drive onto
D:\BACKUP and
failed because there are some files/directory that is protected. Is there
any way to backup my main OS, 1st OS, and dump all to a D:\backup and/or to
multiple writable CDs for easy recovery.

That is, if for some reason I'm not able to access my primary OS or is
DEBAR(Destroyed Beyond All Recoqnition), I can just reformat my C:\
partition and reload back using the backup CDs? Thanks

OR, is there utilities I can use to backup C:\WINDOWS\System32\config
directory, that is the OpenFiles backup. Thanks

"Sarah Tanembaum" wrote:

> Does anyone have any information on how to backup openfiles or protected
> files and/or directories for recovery purposes.
>
> I have 1 physical IDE drive with 2 partitions:
>
> C: drive - 1st OS - windows XP Home and Apps
> D: drive - 2nd OS - windows XP Home and nothing else.
>
> I boot of using the 2nd OS and try to straight copy all the C: drive onto
> D:\BACKUP and
> failed because there are some files/directory that is protected. Is there
> any way to backup my main OS, 1st OS, and dump all to a D:\backup and/or to
> multiple writable CDs for easy recovery.
>
> That is, if for some reason I'm not able to access my primary OS or is
> DEBAR(Destroyed Beyond All Recoqnition), I can just reformat my C:\
> partition and reload back using the backup CDs? Thanks
>
> OR, is there utilities I can use to backup C:\WINDOWS\System32\config
> directory, that is the OpenFiles backup. Thanks

Sarah, greetings from England,

When faced with a similar problem, I bought a second hard driveand used
Norton Ghost from http://www.symantec.com to clone the entire OS, Program
Files and settings along with everything from Docs & Settings on to the
second drive. I don't think it will be a good idea to backup your separate
OS versions into one backup file even if you find a way to do it.

Roger Lemon,
Newport Pagnell
UK

here to learn but chipping in the odd opinion

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Does anyone have any information on how to backup openfiles or protected
> files and/or directories for recovery purposes.
>
> I have 1 physical IDE drive with 2 partitions:
>
> C: drive - 1st OS - windows XP Home and Apps
> D: drive - 2nd OS - windows XP Home and nothing else.
>
> I boot of using the 2nd OS and try to straight copy all the C: drive onto
> D:\BACKUP and
> failed because there are some files/directory that is protected. Is there
> any way to backup my main OS, 1st OS, and dump all to a D:\backup and/or to
> multiple writable CDs for easy recovery.
>
> That is, if for some reason I'm not able to access my primary OS or is
> DEBAR(Destroyed Beyond All Recoqnition), I can just reformat my C:\
> partition and reload back using the backup CDs? Thanks
>
> OR, is there utilities I can use to backup C:\WINDOWS\System32\config
> directory, that is the OpenFiles backup. Thanks

Use a drive imaging program, Symantec's Drive Image, Norton Ghost,
BootIt NG, Acronis True Image. Storing backups on a second internal
hard drive is risky. If a power surge zaps the computer then you could
loose both drives and be w/o backup. Best is to burn to DVD or save on
an external hard drive. I use Drive Image 7 and backup onto a 250 GB
external USB2 hard drive. It's fast, easy, and a snap to restore. You
must back up the entire drive but can restore individual files and
directories or the whole drive.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Roger, greeting from across the pond.

Thanks for your info. Though it seems ideal, I had no choice now except
those extra partition I have and CDRW. Can Norton Ghost backup into a file?

Thanks

"Roger Lemon" <Roger Lemon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Sarah Tanembaum" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any information on how to backup openfiles or protected
> > files and/or directories for recovery purposes.
> >
> > I have 1 physical IDE drive with 2 partitions:
> >
> > C: drive - 1st OS - windows XP Home and Apps
> > D: drive - 2nd OS - windows XP Home and nothing else.
> >
> > I boot of using the 2nd OS and try to straight copy all the C: drive
onto
> > D:\BACKUP and
> > failed because there are some files/directory that is protected. Is
there
> > any way to backup my main OS, 1st OS, and dump all to a D:\backup and/or
> > multiple writable CDs for easy recovery.
> >
> > That is, if for some reason I'm not able to access my primary OS or is
> > DEBAR(Destroyed Beyond All Recoqnition), I can just reformat my C:\
> > partition and reload back using the backup CDs? Thanks
> >
> > OR, is there utilities I can use to backup C:\WINDOWS\System32\config
> > directory, that is the OpenFiles backup. Thanks
> >

> Sarah, greetings from England,
>
> When faced with a similar problem, I bought a second hard driveand used
> Norton Ghost from http://www.symantec.com to clone the entire OS, Program
> Files and settings along with everything from Docs & Settings on to the
> second drive. I don't think it will be a good idea to backup your
separate
> OS versions into one backup file even if you find a way to do it.
>
> Roger Lemon,
> Newport Pagnell
> UK
>
> here to learn but chipping in the odd opinion

Yes, Norton Ghost will either allow you to backup to
CD's - however be prepared, depending on the size of your
drive and what applications you have installed it will
most likely be multiple CD's.

Tina

wrote in message
2ADF6735F0E9@microsoft.com...
>> "Sarah Tanembaum" wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any information on how to backup
openfiles or protected
>> > files and/or directories for recovery purposes.
>> >
>> > I have 1 physical IDE drive with 2 partitions:
>> >
>> > C: drive - 1st OS - windows XP Home and Apps
>> > D: drive - 2nd OS - windows XP Home and nothing else.
>> >
>> > I boot of using the 2nd OS and try to straight copy
all the C: drive
>onto
>> > D:\BACKUP and
>> > failed because there are some files/directory that
is protected. Is
>there
>> > any way to backup my main OS, 1st OS, and dump all
to a D:\backup and/or
>> > multiple writable CDs for easy recovery.
>> >
>> > That is, if for some reason I'm not able to access
my primary OS or is
>> > DEBAR(Destroyed Beyond All Recoqnition), I can just
reformat my C:\
>> > partition and reload back using the backup CDs?
Thanks

>> > OR, is there utilities I can use to backup
C:\WINDOWS\System32\config
>> > directory, that is the OpenFiles backup. Thanks
>> >

>> Sarah, greetings from England,
>>
>> When faced with a similar problem, I bought a second
hard driveand used
>> Norton Ghost from http://www.symantec.com to clone the
entire OS, Program
>> Files and settings along with everything from Docs &
Settings on to the
>> second drive. I don't think it will be a good idea to
backup your
>separate
>> OS versions into one backup file even if you find a
way to do it.

>> Roger Lemon,
>> Newport Pagnell
>> UK
>>
>> here to learn but chipping in the odd opinion
>>

>.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:26:59 -0400, "Sarah Tanembaum"
<sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any information on how to backup openfiles or protected
>files and/or directories for recovery purposes.
>
>I have 1 physical IDE drive with 2 partitions:
>
>C: drive - 1st OS - windows XP Home and Apps
>D: drive - 2nd OS - windows XP Home and nothing else.
>
>I boot of using the 2nd OS and try to straight copy all the C: drive onto
>D:\BACKUP and
>failed because there are some files/directory that is protected. Is there
>any way to backup my main OS, 1st OS, and dump all to a D:\backup and/or to
>multiple writable CDs for easy recovery.
>
>That is, if for some reason I'm not able to access my primary OS or is
>DEBAR(Destroyed Beyond All Recoqnition), I can just reformat my C:\
>partition and reload back using the backup CDs? Thanks
>
>OR, is there utilities I can use to backup C:\WINDOWS\System32\config
>directory, that is the OpenFiles backup. Thanks

Hi Sarah,

You could use the in-built backup program to backup rather than use
copy (or xcopy). You do need to have backup rights. If you have enough
space that is.

Make sure that the account that you use is a member of the Backup
Operators group on the machine. Usually, I think, Administrators are,
but ordinary users are not. On my XP Pro machine the Backup Operators
group is empty. (Right click "My Computer" and select "manage" then
drill down to the groups.

Cheers,

Cliff

"John Doe" <John.Doe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sara,
>
> You are not telling me that you have managed to survive without Ghost all
> these years? Ghost should be the most important utility noone should live
> without!

Latest version of Ghost is based on Drive Image (originally from
Powerquest).

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

John.... have you looked at your computer clock lately.....??
It's kind of a little ahead of itself, like about 24 years.....

--
William B. Lurie