OpenGL & Gaming/Video Editing

scrumlord

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Do I need one machine for professional work and one for recreational use or is OpenGL good for games too? I need CAD/CAE for CnC work and want to do the work out of my home office - but also do video editing and enjoy gaming at home. I am spec'ing a build for a new system in my home office. Bottom line is I am wondering if OpenGL cards are good for gaming and video editing, or if it really means I need 2 machines. Anyone have advice? Thanks.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
You might wanna have a look at <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/products/workstation/fireglx1/specs.html" target="_new">this</A>.
Although, GL cards were not meant for gaming, some (as the Fire GLX1) can really provide the juice you need for gaming.
It may not reach the performance of a dedicated gaming card as the Radeon 9700Pro, but it will do just fine.

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Not yet, but I heard it's due for release before Christmas.
If waiting is out of the question, there is always the <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/products/workstation/firegl8800/index.html" target="_new">FireGL 8800</A>

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
If you`re a professional who works consistantly with CAD/3D then you should have the system for that and another one for gaming. Your workstation could also have the video-editing card, as the rest of the system should be up to par with the graphics card.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
If you`re a professional who works consistantly with CAD/3D then you should have the system for that and another one for gaming. Pro GCs work terribly with games. Your workstation could also have the video-editing card, as the rest of the system should be up to par with the graphics card.

If you have 3D-work more like a hobby then you probably don´t want to spend too much on the rig. In this case a good enough 3D-card will do fine.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>