Opening evasive move

Hello,
I am just getting ready to start my first Diplomacy game by email with a
Gamemaster, one move a month. I have 10 days until my first move is due.
My question is: I am England, after some sporadic emails with Austria
(friend), Italy (friend for now), France (unknown) and Russia (unknown)
I"m pretty certain France and Germany are going to make a move against
England. Are there any theories for "evasive" moves to avoid a
German/France takeover? For every theory I read, i.e. England must take the
E. Channel, I read the opposite, England but not be presumptuous and try and
take the E. Channel.
Am I being paranoid? Is a Germany/France takeover of England even something
they would want to do from the outset of the game?
I apologize if this sounds stupid. Yes, I have the game rules.
Any tips, hints or similar you can throw my way would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Halanna

Hi there, and welcome to the game!

Firstly, remember that this is a public forum, and your opponents might well
be reading what you write here!

Secondly, if you have enemies and you think you can't deal with them alone,
don't be alone! Make friends (or at least try to) with Italy (to help
against France) and Russia (to help against Germany). An opponent who's
attacking you will be far less powerful if someone else is attacking them
from behind.

Thirdly, don't stop talking/writing to someone just because they're
attacking you. You might be able to persuade them that they'd be better off
attacking someone else, or you might impress them so much with your winning
personality that they decide they want to be friends with you after all...

Fourthly, don't worry about reading conflicting advice. Try it all out in
the fullness of time, and see what works for you.

Lastly, don't worry about being paranoid. They really are all out to get
you! (Actually, a German-French alliance is highly feasible, and England
needs to work as hard as necessary to try to avoid it. As I said, keep
talking!)

Cheers,
Andy

"Halanna" <ods@cfl.nostupidspam.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am just getting ready to start my first Diplomacy game by email with a
> Gamemaster, one move a month. I have 10 days until my first move is due.
> My question is: I am England, after some sporadic emails with Austria
> (friend), Italy (friend for now), France (unknown) and Russia (unknown)
> I"m pretty certain France and Germany are going to make a move against
> England. Are there any theories for "evasive" moves to avoid a
> German/France takeover? For every theory I read, i.e. England must take
> the
> E. Channel, I read the opposite, England but not be presumptuous and try
> and
> take the E. Channel.
> Am I being paranoid? Is a Germany/France takeover of England even
> something
> they would want to do from the outset of the game?
> I apologize if this sounds stupid. Yes, I have the game rules.
> Any tips, hints or similar you can throw my way would be most appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Halanna

France & Germany do well to take out England, it's good for both. Usually
they wait a bit. France takes Iberia and sits in MAO while Germany gets
ready to support himself to HEL. Curtains.
I usually like to attack France from the start (Nth/Eng/Wal) and cede
Scandinavia to Germany. Italy can join in. It's fun but usually not
successful. Sigh.

Nick

PS. I have never won as England & don't like playing it. Sulk.

In article <8WKLd.14564$JF2.982@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
Halanna <ods@cfl.nostupidspam.rr.com> wrote:

>Are there any theories for "evasive" moves to avoid a
>German/France takeover? For every theory I read, i.e. England must take the
>E. Channel, I read the opposite, England but not be presumptuous and try and
>take the E. Channel.
>Am I being paranoid? Is a Germany/France takeover of England even something
>they would want to do from the outset of the game?

Yes, it's a realistic fear. The brute-force immediate attempt (in year 1901)
is not common locally but the 1902 version is quite common.

One thing to know; if you suspect trouble from FG, don't move A Lpl to
Edi. Many people like this move because it gives you flexibility in
invading Scandinavia, but if you're attacked, the army is better in York.

You'll have to make up your own mind about the English Channel; personally
I prefer to move to the North Sea and use the army, if necessary, to
protect London. I hate bouncing uselessly in Eng.

*Keep talking to the other players*. In the WacCon tournament a few
weeks ago FG declared an initial alliance, F went to the English
Channel, and people were fairly sure I was toast. I went to F and
said that if he attacked me I would defend tenaciously--he knew
I was good at it--and the game would be slow and difficult for him
even though he'd surely defeat me, whereas if we suddenly turned
on Germany we could blitz the board. He agreed, and I ended up
in a 3-way draw with 12 dots (Best England prize).

Never stop talking, and never stop looking for a way to save yourself.
My results improved hugely when I learned this. At WacCon I was
knocked down to 2 dots as Turkey and 3 as Austria, and was in the
draw both games (got back up to 6 with Turkey, too). If your
position is bad look for *any* way you could possibly be useful
to someone. (But try to keep at least one home dot; if you lose
them all it's nearly impossible to recover.)

Mary Kuhner mkkuhner@eskimo.com

Good tips, thanks. I'm going to try talking to France again, but I don't
know which way to go, toward the N Sea or the E Channel. I'm guess the N
Sea to get away from Germany/France, but then where will I go? I'll have to
just try my best! It didn't really occur to me to keep talking to someone
who was attacking me, thanks!

I pretty much think I"m doomed as England too, Italy said they'd help but
only if I could meet him in the middle, don't think I'll survive that!