[SOLVED] Opening File Explorer Causes Internet Connection to Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakJak333

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Whenever I open file explorer while downloading something, using a platform to talk such as discord, or watching a livestream. My internet seems to drop. I am still connected, I am using Wifi, but this wasn't a problem until recently. It might be worth mentioning that my Wifi adapter (USB) does disconnect itself at random, but i don't see how that would matter as that is not what is happening when i open file explorer. I can actually watch it happen it task manager, while downloading something I can view my network usage and once I open file explorer it slowly drops down to 0 on both send and receive.

So far I have tried reinstalling my drivers for my wifi adapter and uninstalling some recent windows updates. Neither of these had any affect.

Solution
The reason for using Task Manager and Resource Manager is to observe what your system does when File Explorer is opened.

Start either Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Just watch for a few minutes to get a sense of what is running, the %'s, the graphical representations, etc. that are shown during steady state conditions. Steady state meaning that you are not doing anything. Other software may be doing things and you will need to identify those programs.

Leave the window open but slide to one side. Then Open File Explorer. Some other process, app, or service may launch. And that launch, in turn, briefly grabs network resources or otherwise causes some resource shortage that delays network activity for the 5 seconds or so.

May...

Ralston18

Titan
Task Manager - are you able to look in the Name column to determine what is running and grabbing a high network %?

Also look at Resource Monitor. Resource Monitor may help identify the culprit.

Another possibility is indeed the USB adapter itself. They are made as inexpensively as possible and tend to fail overtime.

Before doing anything feel the adapter. See if it is warm or hot.

Then work as normal but continue carefully feel the adapter every few minutes. Determine if the adapter gets very warm or even quite hot.

If so, then the adapter is likely the problem. I have had two or three fail in such a manner.

Note: A USB extension cable may be helpful to raise the wireless adapter up and away from the back of PC (if that is where the adapter is plugged in).

Being able to move the adapter up and about may help with cooling and transmitting/receiving.

JakJak333

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013

Thanks you for your response. However, I think you misunderstood my issue. The adapter works fine other than its random drops, but let forget about that for now. My issue seems to have to do with file explorer. When I open file explorer it stops me for around 5 seconds from receiving and sending any data network data. Haven't had it happen with any other programs.

Ralston18

Titan
The reason for using Task Manager and Resource Manager is to observe what your system does when File Explorer is opened.

Start either Task Manager or Resource Monitor. Just watch for a few minutes to get a sense of what is running, the %'s, the graphical representations, etc. that are shown during steady state conditions. Steady state meaning that you are not doing anything. Other software may be doing things and you will need to identify those programs.

Leave the window open but slide to one side. Then Open File Explorer. Some other process, app, or service may launch. And that launch, in turn, briefly grabs network resources or otherwise causes some resource shortage that delays network activity for the 5 seconds or so.

May show up via one of the graphic windows.

You may discover that File explorer is out "looking for" some drive or folder that, for whatever reason, takes extra time.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.